Thread: Wood and/or stain to go with Baltic Brown Granite?

Wood and/or stain to go with Baltic Brown Granite?

Hello Sawmill Creek:
    I have a large slab of Baltic Brown Granite that I intend to use as part of a Stickley 622 dining room table top. The slab is not quite big enough so I will frame around it with 3” on all sides.
    I would appreciate your ideas on the ideal wood or stain to go with the Baltic Brown. Originally I had planned to go with ammonia fumed quarter sawn white oak to match other Stickley replicas I’ve built. However, I recently came into a huge stash of hard maple which has sentimental value and am considering using it with a stain to complement the granite. I’ve also put various woods up beside the granite, including walnut, cherry, and hickory. Of those, the hickory with an oil finish seemed like the best.
    Anyone worked with Baltic Brown, maybe in a kitchen? If so, please share your thoughts and advice.
    Best wishes,
    Jim

Please become a Contributor so you can post a photo of what "baltic brown" actually looks like. (Click on Donate at the top of the page) Color names like that are "made up" and don't really represent anything specific. That said, traditional for Stickley is QS and rift white oak.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Made up? https://www.google.com/search?client...brown+granite+
    Yes, sigh, I know traditional for Stickley is QS white oak. I don't know why I still post here every year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Please become a Contributor so you can post a photo of what "baltic brown" actually looks like. (Click on Donate at the top of the page) Color names like that are "made up" and don't really represent anything specific. That said, traditional for Stickley is QS and rift white oak.

Your link shows at least 4 different color samples. A photo of what you actually have would help.

Personally, I wouldn't stain hard maple. I think Stickley woods were limited to white oak and cherry, but there's no reason you couldn't use something else if you like how it looks. Hickory might look really nice with those colors and the 622 design.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C Martin View Post
    I don't know why I still post here every year or two.
    Then don't Mr. Martin. Jim is one of the most helpful people here. He was trying to understand and help you.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Here's what Baltic Brown Granite can look like.
    granite.JPG
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

My suggestion for a photo of the actual stone was indeed to establish what the color really looks like. Natural products have variable color as the pictures Lee posted show...that's why a stone supplier has to get a whole installation from slabs cut at the same time and same place (like a boule of a tree) from wherever it was extracted so that the whole installation matches. A name is pretty general. And that again, why why I asked.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...