Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Importing CNC Router?

Importing CNC Router?

I want to get a CNC router for my hobby wood/metal working. It's not going to be for specific, but for general purpose. The size somewhere 2' X 3-4'. I don't want toyish machine. From what I gathered so far, I do not have tons options. It could be Camaster Stinger 1, Shopsabre 23 or various similar chinese machines like Powermatic/Axiom/Grizzly. First 2 are best but in $10k and more. Chinese one, little bit less, somewhere $8k and require more work as I prefer PC driven machine, not pendant. There is one more option, Avid CNC, which will require assembling/tuning, but the price still on level $8K. Seems little be over for what I am comfortable with.
    I Started to think about other alternative--direct importing from oversea. I read that some folks on this forum went that route. I've never done any importing and do not have any idea what I am getting in. So interested in any info on paperwork, transportation, various fees an such.
    I found potential candidate and the supplier povided me a quote for machine delivered to New York, so what will be next getting it home?

If you can't fund Camaster or ShopSaber "made in USA", consider AVID CNC which is kitted out, reasonably priced and also US-based, even though it's only a little less than the other two financially. Importing is certainly possible, but there are certainly risks with both product and support. If you are mechanically and electronically inclined, you may feel comfortable to manage the risk, however. That said, I will also caution you that direct importing isn't a simple task. There was a thread a while back in GW&PT where a community member imported a combination machine himself. Lots of paperwork and work to make it happen plus a long wait, too, at least for that kind of machine. At least try and find a source that already has a means to deal with the importation to the US if you want to go that route.

I'm a very happy Camaster owner, BTW.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If I had it to do over, and I thoroughly enjoyed building my own Saturn 2x4 machine, I would have to consider Camaster, preferably new but I would have to consider a used machine as well. I don't think you can go wrong with Camaster though I've only read about them and watched videos. I know Jim really likes his!

David
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

If you direct import and I did on a fiber laser, you have to realize there will be zero support and parts maybe. Can you fix stuff, repair or replace as needed without a little hand holding? If your capable you can build your own but the Avid or CNC Router parts has the designing done for you and it works. Cam Master holds its resale value and yes you pay more but like the Avid its proven and works. My vote also for Camaster.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

You may want to look at the Canadian Sienci LongMill. The largest has a 30" x 30" capacity and it sells for about $1500 US. There is excellent after-sales support by the company and a very active forum of users.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Well, first of all thank you for your advises and thought on the subject. Though, I need to make some clarifications here.
    First, buying used is not an option. I closely monitored various places for several months, and did not see anything acceptable. It's either nothing or in very rear cases I see something is pretty big and priced close to new. So, I concluded, finding used will be one in lifetime chance, you either get luck and snap it or sit whole life waiting for it to happen.
    As for import. I agree with you completely, if I would import from China, but it's not from china. Being exUSSRian, I occasionally read Russian forums and of cause, russians use CNC too. I found one Ukrainian industrial maker for various CNC machines. I contacted them about shipping one for me and to my surprise they agreed. It's 2'x3' machine with cast iron/steel frame, all ball screws and linear rail guides with motors/electronics similar to Avid CNC uses and completely assembled and ready to use (like Camasters). All of that $4k plus $250 preparation and paperwork fee and $750 for shipping, totaling $5K. People over there love those machines and running them in commercial environment 8hours a day for years with little problems. All that looks attractive, only thing is unknown for me is what it takes to get the machine from sea port to my home.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Wilkinson View Post
    You may want to look at the Canadian Sienci LongMill. The largest has a 30" x 30" capacity and it sells for about $1500 US. There is excellent after-sales support by the company and a very active forum of users.
    I saw those machines, but I prefer to get something more substantial with good ridgidity and precision.

Yuri, just be sure you can get support for whatever control software used with that machine. The software/electronics a big part of the actual cost.
    --

I bought a 4X8 Chinese machine from a company that imported them. I got the last one before the tariffs started hitting and got it for $6200 out the door. Support is nice but for a few hundred dollars you can change out the operating system to something like Centroid acorn and then really won't have a need for support from the maker as you will get everything you need on the centroid forum. As long as you get a good machine that is rigid and put together correctly and don't mind getting your hands a little dirty, you should be fine.

Yuri, who is the manufacturer? I'm curious about suppliers in Europe, seems like a safer and easier option than China

Richard,

it's InStankoServis, in Ukraine, Odessa.
    The model I mentioned is ATS-0609, but I strongly consider similar one, but foot longer ATS-1206, which is around $800 more.

Yuri, looks like a pretty standard machine. I can’t really tell any of the technical details, even after going through all of the pages. For example, what stepper motors are they using? What about the drivers? What’s the control software? Those details matter a lot.

Also, it looks like it uses 220v 50Hz power. Probably want to make sure it’ll run on 60Hz power too.

Ben,
    not a lot of manufacturers tell all details. Let say, Camasters and Shopsabre do not have any words on motors, except that they are greatest and such, no details on power supplies and motor drives either. Thought they use WinCNC control software. So I do not see that InStankoServis is much different. As for control software, they use NC-Studio and you have option to use pendant, like Axiom/Powermatic/Grizzly do. Avid CNC is more specific for their kit, but only to some degree, but that most for historical reasons as they were selling parts (as they do now too), and selling parts without description is like selling a cat in a bag.

As for power, I do not see a problem, usually if it works for 50Hz power, it works for 60Hz even better.

I do not advocate InStankoServis, just telling that it looks like any other, and slightly better then most chinese purchses, because one is dealing with manufacturer directly, not a reseller.

not a lot of manufacturers tell all details. Let say, Camasters and Shopsabre do not have any words on motors, except that they are greatest and such, no details on power supplies and motor drives either.

Yuri, Camaster and ShopSaber use branded parts on their machines and they are marked. Details are readily available for the asking. Both companies also use as much US/North American sourced components as possible. I'm not saying this to discourage you from your choice; rather, 'just pointing out that your statement is not accurate.
    --

Jim,
    I do not argue that those two companies are subpar, far from it, and if I could stretch my budget, I'd even didn't start this thread. But telling that my statement is not accurate is little bit doubtful. Ben, stated that he could not find good information about components on InStankoServis website and I said that someone can't find it on other sites too. If you go to Camaster and Shopsabre sites you will not find it too, at least I could not. I know that you have Camaster machine, so you can check those components, marking on them and such, but I do not have one, so can't know in advance.