Thread: Crushgrind diagrams

Crushgrind diagrams

I recently contacted Crushgrind Demark and they kindly provided me with the attached 2 pdf,s which may be useful refences when drilling holes for Crushgrind mechanisms
    Last edited by Brian Deakin; 11-06-2020 at 3:37 PM.

Please note the dimensions in the attached Pdfs above may differ from the instructions provided by some supplies of Crushgrind mechanisms
    Last edited by Brian Deakin; 11-06-2020 at 3:40 PM.

The definitive guidance on using Crushgrind@ mechanisms can be found in Turning Salt & Pepper Shakers and Mills by Chris West. Do not attempt to make a Crushgrind@ salt/pepper mill until you have consulted this book. - John

Quote Originally Posted by John King View Post
    The definitive guidance on using Crushgrind@ mechanisms can be found in Turning Salt & Pepper Shakers and Mills by Chris West. Do not attempt to make a Crushgrind@ salt/pepper mill until you have consulted this book. - John
    Also good instructions come with crush grind kits from Craft Supplies.

Please note in the instructions provided by Craft supplies

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/d...sh_grinder.pdf

The assemble instructions state

3. Cut off the two clips on the top of the Crush GrindŽmechanism

There is an alternative method to this approach to use a Sorby or Crown Crushgrind tools to cut a recess
    Separately another approach suggested by some turners is to make a recess tool using an allen key mounted in a handle

I would be interested to know how many turners have used this approach of making a tool from an allen key and how successful they were

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Deakin View Post
    Separately another approach suggested by some turners is to make a recess tool using an allen key mounted in a handle
    I made a recess tool by grinding an old scraper in a handle. (I keep a box of cheap or free old tools for making special tools as needed.)

I have also cut a slot for the tabs with a small cutter on a Dremel. This is harder but does work.

BTW, in either case I leave the clips on AND use epoxy.

JKJ

I note the differences in drilling the mill head, 7/8 dia by crushgrind (and West), and 15/16 from craft supplies. I've made quite a few of these and find the "best for me" method is 15/16 dia and epoxy+tabs left on. I use the sorby recess tool.

Axminster tools in the Uk have the following information

file:///C:/Users/Swanny/Downloads/Axminster_manual%20(1).pdf