Thread: Mitersaw Station Build

Mitersaw Station Build

I am wanting to make a mitersaw station that would incorporate my router table cabinet on one end and some storage on the other. Planning on putting casters on it so its mobile.
    Similar to this photo of one that's done and the other photo is of my mockup.

I am trying to figure out how to make the mobile base stiff enough to handle the weight of everything. The base is going to be 3/4" plywood. I doubled it up on the edges with a 4" strip of plywood but its not stiff enough. So I am thinking 2x4s on the edges but if I put them under the plywood on edge and then casters its going to be 8" off the floor. I thought about putting the 2x4s on the top of the plywood but that will interfere with the cabinet opening on the storage side.

Guess I'm not sure what I should do...so I'm asking for suggestions or ideas on how I should build the mobile base so it's good and stiff but not so high off the floor that I have to make my cabinets really short. Thanks

Mitersaw station complete.jpgmitersaw station.jpg

A similar thread came up a couple of weeks ago.

General consensus was to use two or three strips of 2"x3" x 1/4" angle iron.

You can inset the outer strips about 3.5" in and still bolt your casters to the plywood. You would bolt these to the plywood base underneath the plywood.

With 4" casters, the angle iron will still be an inch off the floor and this will not raise your cabinet more than the height of the casters.

I have a workbench, that I am contemplating doing a retrofit like this.
    Last edited by ChrisA Edwards; 11-06-2020 at 3:28 PM.

Thanks Chris, good suggestion. I also ran across this drawing searching the web (not my drawing) I could do this also with 2x4's. My base is only 24" deep so a few 2x4's would stiffen it up pretty good with out taking up room. Still leave the height of the casters.
    base 2x4.jpg

I would add more casters.

Cover the bottom of that with plywood to box it in. 1/2", or even less, would make it a lot stiffer. Extending the inner rows of 2x4's to the end, leaving cutouts in the corners for the casters, would improve it even more.