Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A good source of containers for the workshop

Prescription medicine containers, quaker oat round boxes, plastic peanut butter jars. I agree with Jim, Altoid tins are great.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    And don't forget the esteemed cigar box.

Attachment 444599
    Forgot these, most of mine are wood.

Some of my bigger wooden storage boxes are shop made.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Another of my forgotten storage helpers for in the shop:

Hardware Hunting Box Sort Bin.jpg

This makes it easier to pick through a box of screws or other small items. It also makes it easy to get them back where they were.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

We’ve all gotten to used to hoarding junk. I’m one too.
    The metal recycling container calls.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

I miss 35mm film cans. I do have a 35mm film can for shipping a movie. It looks like a 5 gallon bucket but a little shorter. I thin kit held 3 reels. perfect height to stand on to do ceiling work. I have a couple 2 inch magnetic tape shipping containers. keep holiday lights coiled up in them.
    Bil lD

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    It is amazing how many Altoid tins hold various items in my shop.
    Many Altoid boxes here too. They hold small items and stack reasonably well if you have dividers of some sort to keep them corralled.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

My grandpa collected the jars the favorite jelly of his wife came in. He had the lids screwed to the bottom of a shelf, roughly 1x8 pine. When he was looking for a specific thing he would just twist the jar to release if from the lid screwed to the underside of the shelf, and then put it back when he was done.

Some hazard from the glass jars, but he could see the contents without untwisting the jar. He probably had 50 of them hanging from the bottom of that shelf. 1" screws, 1.25" screws, etc.

My biggest storage problem in the shop is where to store all the containers I saved to store stuff in, seems like I have more storage containers than stuff. Course if I toss all the containers..........

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    There are a ton of snack factories around here and clear plastic one gallon and gallon and a half containers of snacks are discounted everywhere. Just Monday, I bought a 2 gallon plastic drum of fried pork rinds for $1.50. I use them for dog treats.
    If I had that container of fried pork rinds my dog would never get a chance to taste them. I'd snack them all.

They're probably an acquired taste. If you had them as a kid, you probably love them. Otherwise, ...

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I wonder what car paint shops and nail salons do with all the little empty cans of paint. Do nail salons have paint mixing machine like paint stores do?
    Bill D

I stink at sizing screws and bolts. When I work on my car or tractor, I take the entire wrench or socket set with me. Along those lines, I realized years ago I needed a way to organize all the screws, nuts, washers, etc. I looked and looked at organizers and storage containers. WOW! Are they expensive. To determine the number I would need, I went to Lowe's and Home Depot, and recorded every size and type of screw they had hanging. I count over 350 different screws, bolts, washers, nuts, etc. that I would be likely to have in my shop. My solution:

Homemade trays, 1 1/2" thick with solid hardboard bottom and holes in the top hardboard for holding...wait for it...prescription bottles. They come in about 5 different sizes and most pharmacies use the same find (Walgreens, Walmart, and Rite Aid do anyway). They will not give or sell you any empty bottles. But depending on how often you need to frequent the pharmacy the can stack up quickly. I started making the trays when I realized I had two 10-ream paper bozes full.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    It is amazing how many Altoid tins hold various items in my shop. Many of them have been painted on the tops so it is easy to label them with a sharpie.
    I salvage many containers and the Altoid tins are never tossed.

One thing I do with the Altoid cans is put change and a few bills in one for the glovebox/center compartment of each car. That way if something comes up when out and about and the wallet is short there is always a little cash on hand. You know in case of the need for an emergency donut. Or less fun, a parking meter. Or for exact change at a drive thru.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    One thing I do with the Altoid cans is put change and a few bills in one for the glovebox/center compartment of each car.
    Good idea, we just have it loose in the ashtrays.

jtk

Baby food jars used here.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I salvage many containers and the Altoid tins are never tossed.

One thing I do with the Altoid cans is put change and a few bills in one for the glovebox/center compartment of each car. That way if something comes up when out and about and the wallet is short there is always a little cash on hand. You know in case of the need for an emergency donut. Or less fun, a parking meter. Or for exact change at a drive thru.

JKJ
    I like John have a small plastic container in the car which I keep change in Additionally I place a £20 note in the space between the back of mobile phone and its cover This money has come in useful on a number of occasions