Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A good source of containers for the workshop

dollar store, all the same in cabinets on the wall mostly. Want them all the same size. Better plastic now some of the first ones failed in time.

Cigar boxes and yogurt containers.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    I use plastic shoe boxes.

Lowell, I tried using plastic shoe boxes, but the ones I get are not designed for anything heavier than some loafers. As such, they kind of warp and deform when I try to pick them up with slightly heavier contents. The lid then pops off.

What brand/kind are you using? I feel so ridiculous asking this question.

Blog Entries
    They are not made fore heavy loads, but I have no issues with mine. I buy mine from Home Depot or Lowes.

https://www.google.com/search?q=lowe...=2133&bih=1076

I have used plastic oil cans for many years, they are stored on 2 by 4 shelves high on the wall which is unused space. I clean them by putting large numbers of cans in a large tub, fill with water and add dish washing detergent. Let them soal for several days and the existing label falls off in the tub.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I got a couple of these years ago and they are holding up well. A great way to store dowels, T tracks, etc - anything long and slender.

Helps to remember to add the link...

LINK
    Last edited by Bill Carey; 11-10-2020 at 11:13 AM.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

I use a ton of plastic skippy peanut butter jars to store nails and screws in. They come in a variety of sizes, they have wide mouths for easy access and jars are clear so you can see what’s in side. My wife eats a lot of peanut butter

Another fan of Talenti gelato containers. They are made with some seriously thick plastic for something that just hold ice cream.

Another thing I save is the hard plastic trays when we buy pork chops from the meat dept. They make great disposable paint trays when I'm painting or staining with paint pads.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Wawro View Post
    Another fan of Talenti gelato containers. They are made with some seriously thick plastic for something that just hold ice cream.

Another thing I save is the hard plastic trays when we buy pork chops from the meat dept. They make great disposable paint trays when I'm painting or staining with paint pads.

I have a few of the Talenti gelato containers. The first one I got I made sure to save. A few weeks later I bought another one and since they are small, figured they must be a person serving. The next time I checked the calorie count and realized if I continued to buy them, I would have great containers for storing things, but would gain 50 lbs in about two months. I stopped buying them 'for the container'.

My son drinks a powered tea that comes in white plastic containers that about six inches tall and an oval shape. They make great storage for screws with a small footprint. I also use left over salsa containers I buy from Krogers for mixing stains and cleaning brushes. They are nice and easily disposable. I have two metal baby formula cans in my shop from the 80's I think. They were like a double can so are 10 - 12" tall. I store screws in those too, specialty screws with a special bit that they require.
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck

Blog Entries
    you guys & all your talk of Talenti Gelato! Now you've got me craving it & I can't get it in Canada.

Probably just as well...
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 11-11-2020 at 4:15 PM. Reason: language

Another plug for Talenti containers. I'm amazed (and embarrassed) at how many I've amassed since Covid started. They work great for mixing small batches of finishes. Raspberry Gelato and their double dark chocolate are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hulbert View Post
    Another plug for Talenti containers. I'm amazed (and embarrassed) at how many I've amassed since Covid started. They work great for mixing small batches of finishes. Raspberry Gelato and their double dark chocolate are awesome.
    Are those the stain colours or the gelato flavours?

Since the last thing I need right now is more ice cream, what is it about the Talent containers that make them so useful? Size + screw lids? Dont make me go down that aisle the store to find out.

Not so much for the shop, but I've found liquid detergent containers to be very useful in the garage and in the yard. I use them for storing grass seed, used oil, sawdust fertilizer, and, cutting part of the spout off, as a scoop for snowmelt salt, sand, and other similar stuff. They're strong and durable.

They are perfect because:
    Ice cream pint sizes are about the right size for parts; large enough to store a decent amount and to get your hands into; small enough to get several onto a shelf.

They are transparent so you can see the contents perfectly.

They are a hard plastic that does not compress or warp.

They are straight sided. This marginally improves their stackability with the lids on. Also, this makes it possible to screw the lid to a shelf and then put the container (open side up) into it and it won't slide or rattle around. Makes a perfect, stable pencil, acid brush, compass, utility knife holder.

The lids are screw on and made well. I've screwed a bunch to the bottom of a shelf and they will support the weight of container full of screws hanging.

They seem to be relatively chemical resistant, so you can store all kinds of finishes in them. I don't think the lids are sealed well enough to prevent drying out over long periods of time, but one container is definitely enough for a typical project at a time.

You can drill out the bottom , and screw the side into the bottom of a shelf so the open side is pointing outward, for a perfect cordless drill holster.

We in woodworking are not the only ones to recognize this. Talenti "pintcycling" is a thing. Check it out.

Oh yeah, and btw, their gelato is phenomenal too. Haven't met a flavor I didn't like yet.