Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about domino connectors

Question about domino connectors

I'll be building two identical desks for our home office. Current design shown below:

Desk Front View.png

Desk Rear View.png

[eta:] overall dimensions are 30 deep, 62 wide, 29 high.

Material is cherry and 1/4" cherry plywood for the panels. Stiles and upper rails are 3/4 by 2 1/4, lower rails arch from 3 1/4 to 2 1/4. The legs are 1 5/8 square.

For transporting from my shop upstairs to the office, I'd like the center panel section between the two pedestals to be removable (the top will also be removable, I'll be posting another question about that...). That way I can move the desks to the office in pieces.

Would the 500 series domino connectors be a reasonable way to do this? I would use one in the end of each rail, so four total. It seems to me that once the desk is in place and the top secured to the two pedestals, there would be very little force or stress on those connections, even if someone were to lift the desk by the top to move it once assembled. If I were to go this route, the two panels that abut the legs would be set into grooves in the legs (like everywhere else) but just would not be glued on that edge.

Thoughts? Better way to do this?
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I dont have a 500, but that would work with the 700 breakdown connectors. You would have unsightly plugs on the inside face, but something you wouldnt see very well or often! If you dont already have the connectors, i question if they are necessary. You can leave the center panel floating in dados without glue and then attach the desktop. I would probably clamp the whole subassembly together, place the top on, screw it into place(allowing for movement across the width), and then undo the clamp. I dont see the center panel being mission critical to the stability or structure of the piece.

I have the Domino 500, but if I was doing this build, I'd probably pocket hole screw the back panels to the legs and likewise the same with the top.

All pocket hole screws would be on the inside, so would not be visible.

I most likely would still use some dominos for alignment, but these would not be glued.
    Last edited by ChrisA Edwards; 11-05-2020 at 8:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    I have the Domino 500, but if I was doing this build, I'd probably pocket hole screw the back panels to the legs and likewise the same with the top.

All pocket hole screws would be on the inside, so would not be visible.

I most likely wold still use some dominos for alignment, but these would not be glued.
    I built my wife a sewing desk like that and use a removable back panel that I used tenons for alignment and mechanical screws to attach - I used the brass inserts for the screws and the top is attached the same way with some “slop” in the holes to allow for wood expansion - come as apart into 5 pieces to move

Thanks gents, some food for thought! I had not considered just using dominoes and not gluing them on one end; that would certainly be easy. Maybe I am just looking for an excuse to try the connectors since I haven't used them as yet... Thanks again!

Based on your illustrations, I'll say that the connectors would work just fine. You have independent pedestals it appears so you don't even have much load on the modesty panel to begin with. I've only used the larger 14mm connectors (bed application) but do intend to adopt the smaller version like is appropriate for your project as soon as I have a need for that size. They are well designed and easy to use. Not inexpensive, but what quality product isn't these days?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Based on your illustrations, I'll say that the connectors would work just fine. You have independent pedestals it appears so you don't even have much load on the modesty panel to begin with. I've only used the larger 14mm connectors (bed application) but do intend to adopt the smaller version like is appropriate for your project as soon as I have a need for that size. They are well designed and easy to use. Not inexpensive, but what quality product isn't these days?
    Yeah the 700 connectors are a bit much, because of the quantity and diversity of the parts involved. I also used them on a king bed project, but i feel like you are forced to buy 4-6 different parts for the applications at hand.

Easy to use if you have the instruction pamphlet on hand at the time of plunging the mortises. They are rock solid. A few years after assembling the bed, ive never had to tighten any of the connectors, and no visible gaps showing up in my joinery.

The smaller connectors are a bit different than the larger 14mm type and don't rely on just the Domino tool to install. I was at a Festool "road show" presentation last year and got to see them up-close and personal as a nice fellow from across the water. I was impressed. I just haven't had "the project" come along where I needed them to-date.
    --

the domino 500-series connectors are great, and you could design your construction around their use. that said, over the past few years, 99% of the time i reach for my Lamello Zeta, and use the tenso or clamex connectors. picture a connector no larger than a #20 biscuit that provides positive clamping pressure. expensive, but highly useful. something to be aware of for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by David Zaret View Post
    the domino 500-series connectors are great, and you could design your construction around their use. that said, over the past few years, 99% of the time i reach for my Lamello Zeta, and use the tenso or clamex connectors. picture a connector no larger than a #20 biscuit that provides positive clamping pressure. expensive, but highly useful. something to be aware of for the future.
    I haven't seen the clamex before; they are pretty cool and would do the trick. I have the domino machines though, so will likely go that route.

Paul, just be sure you practice a bit with the connectors before you go for the real deal. The drilling has to be precise, but once you have the process down, it's pretty darn easy based on the up-close demonstration I mentioned previously.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Paul, just be sure you practice a bit with the connectors before you go for the real deal. The drilling has to be precise, but once you have the process down, it's pretty darn easy based on the up-close demonstration I mentioned previously.
    OK, thanks Jim. I'm planning to mock up one pedestal in poplar anyway, to prove out all the joinery and drawer mounting, and to test out a scheme for a slide out worksurface extension. So while I'm doing that I'll practice with the connectors. It seems like the 500 series connector kit comes with a drilling guide that slips into the mortise for alignment, so that should help.

Yes, the guide makes it easy--and is an appealing feature of the system for sure, but it's always good to make some practice joints so you have the marking, etc., down pat before committing to the "good wood". With the prototype pedestal and panel, you can also determine whether you want, say...two or three connectors on each side to do the deed.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by David Zaret View Post
    I keep going back and forth on how much I'd use a Zeta, I want one but have not justified it to myself yet... What do you find yourself doing most with it? I like the idea of using the system for built ins being assembled and installed on site after the real work happens in the shop. Just curious, appreciate your opinion on it.

i use it all over the place. and, don't get me wrong, i use my domino nearly daily as well....

here are a few examples where the zeta shines:

1) long miters - 45 or 90 long miters for furniture and cabinets, do long rips on the slider, and use these instead of clamps while the glue dries. i've done 10' long miters in 5/4 walnut that are flawless and trivial, when historically that's a procedure a dread as i empty my clamp racks.

503B3591-1C14-44E8-A581-B59B32E6431F.jpg

2) applied panels - for the kitchens i make, i supply sometimes quite ornate panels for ends of islands and cabinet runs. i use the tensos to attach the panels, and provide the ability to attach, remove, scribe, reattach even very long panels, onsite

B466018F-4B31-4195-8DE7-5F1A0C94E3A3.jpg

3) complex clamping for angled parts - the clamex connectors allow me to tack together something complex, and ultimately apply glue to those joints and make them permanent - see hood below as an example

389DF94A-B5CE-48EF-B9B7-08E7D8247732.jpg

4) building for flat pack and onsite assembly - i find myself doing this more and more because of the capability of the tool, and have more examples than i can count. these pieces for a church were a few of many, and all of the panels and frames were shop-made and fit, delivered flat, and assembled onsite. the joinery is a combination of dominos for alignment, and zeta clamexes for clamping:

542840A4-E1B8-40A7-9A0B-1CDB13F4A474.jpg 8DD712BC-C63C-413F-919B-A2E837375108_1_101_o.jpg 09B8074B-954B-4257-AFF4-429824B7C863.jpg

i was introduced to the tool from my friend jim biddle, and i recall thinking "i have both dominos, i have biscuit joiners, i have everything under the sun, why do i need this expensive thing?" it's changed the way i design and build many of the projects i face, and i've accepted jobs that i otherwise would have previously dreaded due to some level of complexity mitigated by these fasteners.

of course, YMMV.

--- dz