Thread: Nova DVR XP - Used Value

Nova DVR XP - Used Value

I am looking at a used Nova DVR XP lathe and am interested in it's value.

What questions should I ask, the bed is short with not extension but I would want to add one are they still available?

Were there different sizes available, looks like it could be 16".

Does not include a stand, is on a home made one which I would replace, are stands available from Nova.

Any advice that you can give me would be appreciated.

There's a lot of variables to your question. Those have been made for many years, so the answer will vary widely, depending on age, use and condition. I believe these are all 16x24 lathes. I have the basic 1624 which is a wonderful lathe, but does not have electronic speed control. What it does have is good power, a 16 inch swing and heavy duty components and construction.
    Regarding the DVR, the plus up is the electronic speed control. The down side is the type of buttons they use and the age of the unit. If it's seen heavy use, repairing it or servicing it could be more expensive then buying a new lathe.

my .02.

The Nova DVR XP used to be Technatool’s top of the line. Many of the XP’s parts and accessories live on in the XP’s successors in Technatool’s Nova line of lathes. Technatool’s still makes and sells a bed extension and two different stands that will fit the XP. You can learn more here: https://www.teknatool.com/product-ca...e-accessories/.

IIRC, the original XP had a 16” swing. A later version had a 20” swing.

HTH
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

I strongly recommend you turn something on that lathe before buying. I've only turned on one at a demo, but I hated that motor control and soft start. I want the lathe to run when I push the green button, not stand there and wait for it to come up to speed. I understand that ramp up is adjustable, but I really hated that thing!

I agree with and endorse the recommendation to turn something on the lathe before buying. That’s true for any lathe. Sometimes that won’t be possible. When it is, turning something on the lathe is a good idea.

However, don’t be dissuaded by another turner’s subjective take on how it feels to use a particular lathe. Whether one style of lathe ‘fits’ is a very personal thing. Some turners don’t care for a DVR’s electronic controls. But, most DVR owners love their lathe. It’s hard for you to know which camp you might fall in without using the lathe. Even then, something you don’t like initially might be something you like once you’re more familiar with it.

Changing the subject slightly: I love the look of the original Ford Mustang. Twice, I’ve almost bought one. For me, the driving position just isn’t comfortable. The steering wheel is too low. So, I just don’t enjoy driving a mid-sixties Mustang as much as I think I should. Yet, millions of American drivers love driving a Mustang. I’m just not one of those. Returning to the subject, the same is true for lathes. Some fit a particular turner and some don’t.

Good luck!
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by David Walser View Post
    I agree with and endorse the recommendation to turn something on the lathe before buying. That’s true for any lathe. Sometimes that won’t be possible. When it is, turning something on the lathe is a good idea.

However, don’t be dissuaded by another turner’s subjective take on how it feels to use a particular lathe. Whether one style of lathe ‘fits’ is a very personal thing. Some turners don’t care for a DVR’s electronic controls. But, most DVR owners love their lathe. It’s hard for you to know which camp you might fall in without using the lathe. Even then, something you don’t like initially might be something you like once you’re more familiar with it.

Changing the subject slightly: I love the look of the original Ford Mustang. Twice, I’ve almost bought one. For me, the driving position just isn’t comfortable. The steering wheel is too low. So, I just don’t enjoy driving a mid-sixties Mustang as much as I think I should. Yet, millions of American drivers love driving a Mustang. I’m just not one of those. Returning to the subject, the same is true for lathes. Some fit a particular turner and some don’t.

Good luck!
    Good advice David! Now about that Mustang. We just bought our son's 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata convertible. If you love fun driving, THAT is the car. Thrash it around curves and with a 50/50 weight balance it goes like a go-cart. And we are getting 35mpg while doing it. Really cheap performance entertainment!

I rented an MX-5. That thing is a hoot to drive. It goes where you point it.
    Trouble is, can't go to Costco. A 30 pack of beer and rotisserie chicken is all that will fit in the "trunk". I guess you could go alone and put the stuff on the passenger seat.

A Miata is fun to drive. (I couldn't convince my son to get a used one when he went off to college. He opted for a used Altima -- with four doors! -- instead. Clearly he gets his taste in cars from his mother.) However, to get a Miata, I'd have to get rid of my 1990 Porsche 928. That's NOT happening!
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona