Thread: Trestle table clearance

Trestle table clearance

Wondering what is the normal clearance at the end of a trestle table to allow for sitting. I’m seeing about 14” on most designs. The table will only be about 6’ long. Allowing 14” at each end will put the legs at 32” apart...I think that would look ok? Any input welcome. Thank you.

Our kitchen table that I made a few years ago is trestle-style and it's just about 73" long. There is pretty much exactly 14" of overhang on the ends. That leaves 45" of "space" remaining, and with the width of my legs that means there is 40" of space between the legs.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

I'm a big fan of trestle tables, but you do have to consider where diners' feet and knees are going to be. For me, a trestle which is only 14" from the table end will leave the diner at the end feeling cramped. Try it yourself and see. Put a stick on the floor at 14" and see if you kick it. And with only 32" between the trestles on the long sides, the diners on the sides will have to be putting their feet on the trestle.

For your table length, you might consider putting conventional legs at the corners of the table. In that configuration, you can put three diners along each side, or you can put two diners on the long sides plus one at each end. And all of them can sit comfortably without their feet running into legs.

Thank you both for the input. It’s for my son, who picked out the design, and I too am concerned that 14” may not be enough, and anymore than that will look odd. I think I need to talk him into a different design.