Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Adam savage workbench

On the Workbench Builders FB group someone posted that his vise, like the one in the video, failed. Some retaining metal rings sheared off after he clamped something, he may have applied too much force.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Herrera View Post
    On the Workbench Builders FB group someone posted that his vise, like the one in the video, failed. Some retaining metal rings sheared off after he clamped something, he may have applied too much force.
    I can see that being possible due to gear multiplication of torque.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Plummer View Post
    The tops are solid slabs, not laminated. Matt sawed them and they were dried in a vacuum kiln. Him and the gentleman with the kiln are investigating if there is a workbench market for the dried slabs.
    In my neck of the woods there is an entrepreneur doing business as "Bob's Big Boards." > https://bobsbigboards.com < Click on the gallery for some great images.

He has a laser engraver and a fully able shop of machines for cutting and processing big pieces. My recollection is his sander can handle up to 57" wide stock. It came from a piano maker if my memory is working. He also has a planer about as wide.

He had some large slabs on my last visit. Not sure of all the uses, but some end up as live edge counters or bars.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Pretty snazzy bench. I think the vises are more complicated that necessary but are very cool.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Herrera View Post
    What is this “too much force” of which you speak?
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I will say again: Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do something. A workbench is a tool, a means to an end not the end itself. That is if you want to make things other than a workbench.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    What is this “too much force” of which you speak?
    That's what the poster described was the cause of the failure.

Screenshot_20201106-175101_Chrome.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    I will say again: Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should do something. A workbench is a tool, a means to an end not the end itself. That is if you want to make things other than a workbench.

ken
    Ken,
    haven't you made like 5 bench's?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J Evans View Post
    Ken,
    haven't you made like 5 bench's?
    Michael,

Yep, I've made a few. Each one is usually simpler than the one before and a better bench to work on. I guess you could say I'm a slow learner. I may be nearing the end of bench building because there is little I can change to make a better bench than the last build.

ken

So if a workbench is only a means to a end. Then that first bench should have filled that end and just because you could of made another bench (did) you shouldn't of?

Or do sometimes people just like to try new things?

Just poking at ya

11. I like the steam punk vibe of this workbench. It sounds like good workmanship and very well suited to a content producer like Adam. Functional with a unique look and some extra bling.

I appreciate when those youtubers do collaborations or promotion of someone else’s work, maybe it be woodworking and blacksmithing, having different takes on a project, ...

Regarding the bench itself, my main concern would be the metal base resonating when using a saw, a mallet.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J Evans View Post
    So if a workbench is only a means to a end. Then that first bench should have filled that end and just because you could of made another bench (did) you shouldn't of?

Or do sometimes people just like to try new things?

Just poking at ya
    Michael,

Poke all you want but if you go back and read what I have posted on work bench builds (I can't imagine putting myself thru that much boredom) you would see I have repeatedly posted that first builds should be built simple, fast, and cheap. That after working on the bench expect to find things that drive you to barking at the moon. Then build another, hopefully fixing the faults of the first. Repeat as needed. For a slow learner like myself the process can take three or more tries before getting to a bench that fits your personal work flow.

The worst thing a new builder can do is read a bunch of "building a work bench" books. Instead look at photos of classic designs, think about why and how they did the build that way then build yours.

BTW, I made the mistake of reading the books and building the bench. It sucked and lasted maybe a year before my howls at the moon drove me to re-thinking the process and following my above advise. Later I needed a portable bench that would break down and fit in my motorhome. After almost a year of scratching my butt and a lot of "yes, but" I stumbled across Will Myers' video on building a portable Moravian workbench where he made a near copy of the original. After working on the portable bench I found it so stable and capable I decided to scale it up to shop sized which may be the perfect bench for me. It takes awhile to get there.

One last thing, the Moravian fits all my criteria, it is simple, cheap, and a easy fast build.

Sorry for building a clock when you asked for the time ,

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Rosenthal View Post
    Nothing against the bench (I’m sure it’s useful for some people, just not for me), but frankly I found Adam Savage to be so annoying that I stopped the video after 7 minutes.
    I dont know who Adam Savage is, but I found him annoying too. Way too much "staged excitement" for me. It was like going to the zoo with your first grade teacher - "Ooooh, look at the giraffe children, doesn't he have a long neck?" I had to shut it off after I saw the basic functionality of the bench.

But the bench seemed fine to me. I enjoy looking at benches and this was another variation on the theme. Thanks for posting it Michael. I liked the thick top. Nothing wrong with a metal base, though it seemed to have a small footprint for those long overhangs. (I didnt watch long enough to see him demonstrate it's stability during heavy planing.) The vises were sure purty, if not my cup of tea. But I've gotta agree with Steve Newman - this might be very functional for the work Savage does.

Ken, I kept wondering how he'd react to using one of YOUR magnificent benches. Guy would probably get so excited he'd have a heart attack. So I think a fly off is in order here! You should drop him a line and offer one. That would be very cool.

YMMV
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

The worst thing a new builder can do is read a bunch of "building a work bench" books. Instead look at photos of classic designs, think about why and how they did the build that way then build yours.

ken[/QUOTE]

Great advice Ken.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post

Sorry for building a clock when you asked for the time ,

ken
    I much prefer the sundial... the clock is way to complicated 😉

What worked for me when I built my bench, was to force myself to sit down and draw a plan. I hate drawing but when I finally drew out the bench I realized all I had was 4 mortises and two half laps. Drawing it for some reason gave me the confidence to build it. My bench was my first hand tool project. I still find that drawing anything even if it's a quick sketch, gives me the motivation to just do it.