Thread: "higher quality" piano hinge?

"higher quality" piano hinge?

i have to build a custom "craft station" with a fold-down large work surface. does anyone make a thicker, higher-quality piano hinge, or corollary long, continuous hinge? historically, the ones i've used are so thin that the screws barely hold. any suggestions are appreciated, thanks!

--- dz

What size are you looking for? Mortised or surface mounted?

i think surface mounted is fine. i'll need something 5'+ long. ideally a dark finish, as it'll be on walnut, but i can cope with anything. thanks.

Lee Valley has these .040" thick steel hinges available but no dark color and not the length you ask for:

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...l-piano-hinges

Googling "Heavy Piano Hinge" comes up with a bunch of clues...perhaps you can find something longer and heavier that way. The black ones I buy for my tack trunks from the folks who I get road case type gear are thiner material but adequate for what I do.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Not sure what you are looking for but here are some possibilities. They have other's as well. An extremely good source for lot's of different things.

mcmaster.com/hinges/piano-hinges-with-holes/

McMaster is a good call. thanks.

the client just asked me if i can use Soss concealed hinges instead of the piano hinge... but mounted horizontally for a "fold-down" application. picture a large drop-down, edge-mount work surface that hinges down to 90 degrees, then folds up. do you think a Soss could be mounted horizontally?

-- dz

I’m about to try the Soss hinges for a drop leaf. I can tell you how it works out.

great - thanks drew. much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bernat View Post
    I’m about to try the Soss hinges for a drop leaf. I can tell you how it works out.

Larsen and Shaw make excellent hinges, McMaster Carr carries them.
    Architectural Builders Hardware makes pin and barrel hinges but they are a little too large for you application.

bought heavy duty from these guys in the past, they had many heavy duty piano hinges. Think their main market was truck bodies.

Capture.JPG