Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Powermatic 2820 EVS drill press

I have had the Nova Voyager for about a year now and I use it a fair amount (for a hobbyist). I am constantly disappointed in the lightweight connection between the table and the column. The amount of deflection you get when you loosen the clamp is evidence of a poor (under engineered) design. Recently I came across another issue that I was lucky not to learn about the hard way. If you engage the depth stop with the button in the wrong position, the support web will actually depress the button as you drop the quill thus releasing the stop. It would have been so easy to avoid this in the design phase. I love this drill press and really wish I could have paid $25 more for the small amount of extra iron it would have taken to make it exceptional from top to bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Seltzer View Post
    I have had the Nova Voyager for about a year now and I use it a fair amount (for a hobbyist). I am constantly disappointed in the lightweight connection between the table and the column. The amount of deflection you get when you loosen the clamp is evidence of a poor (under engineered) design. Recently I came across another issue that I was lucky not to learn about the hard way. If you engage the depth stop with the button in the wrong position, the support web will actually depress the button as you drop the quill thus releasing the stop. It would have been so easy to avoid this in the design phase. I love this drill press and really wish I could have paid $25 more for the small amount of extra iron it would have taken to make it exceptional from top to bottom.
    Putting the head unit aside, the base, column and table of the Nova appear to be exactly the same as on a $700 Grizzly press, last time I looked. I bought my Nova back when it was on sale for $1100 a few years ago, and when I went to look at what they’d done to justify raising the price to $1700+, I expected to see that they’d upgraded that. I was surprised to see they had not.

If they offered the option of a better substructure, I might take them up on it, even now. What they have currently is not all that.

3. Well alright then FINE stop badgering me I ordered the Powermatic 2820 EVS. Honest honey I wasn't going to buy it but these guys on the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Coolidge View Post
    Well alright then FINE stop badgering me I ordered the Powermatic 2820 EVS. Honest honey I wasn't going to buy it but these guys on the forum.
    I’m going to have to remember that line.

Some of the comments in the thread are confusing considering the specs.
    Just for info, the column of the Nova is larger than the PM2820 and the base is also slightly larger. The PM is 20 pounds heavier but likely is the extra weight of the gear box.

The price on all equipment has gone up. Last I checked the PM was $250 more than the Nova.

I've had the PM2820EVS for about 9 months and have used it several times. I absolutely love it. Anything from super hard woods and aluminum to MDF and plywood, it does great. The plunge stop (or hold) is unlike any other I've used and it is a joy to use. It seriously just works and is better/faster than anything I've had previously. I've even used it as a spindle sander, using the accessory downdraft insert, and it worked incredibly well. I also like that I could use one of the handles on the left side with two remaining on the right, giving me the ability to plunge left or right handed as needed. This is something I've never had and now that I do, I don't think I could go back.

Besides leveling the cast iron table, it needed zero adjustments. The runout on the included chuck, using quality bits (something people never seem to mention), is minimal. I will say I use it mainly in the context of woodworking and some aluminum work, so I cannot say how well it performs if your primary function is steel.

Overall I'm very impressed and don't regret my purchase. I was able to "test" the Nova, PM and Jet (forget the model), and for me, there was no question that the PM tank was what I wanted in a DP. Price was irrelevant to my decision.
    Last edited by Michael Burnside; 01-20-2023 at 4:36 PM. Reason: Mentioned price was not a consideration for context

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Fedder View Post
    I don’t know that I would have thought about using one handle on the left, but that’s a really nice option to have.
    Right? I happened to be working on a side table with two long pieces where the fence lined up great but it hung far left or right. Being right handed the first one was natural, held against the fence, but when I started the second, I turned myself into a pretzel reaching with my left hand. Before drilling I thought, hmm I wonder...moved one of the handles to the left side and boom, amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Coolidge View Post
    Well alright then FINE stop badgering me I ordered the Powermatic 2820 EVS. Honest honey I wasn't going to buy it but these guys on the forum.
    Charles, let us know how it works out for you and if you can a review would be great...

Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006