Thread: Looking for online shop layout program

Looking for online shop layout program

Going to be moving into a different house and will have a larger shop then my current 300 sq ft one. I was going to use Grizzly's on line shop layout planner but found out they have taken theirs down temporarily for a couple of months to update it and make it more robust. Just when I needed it..... Anyone know of any others out there, free hopefully? I found one for Wood Mag that I think you print out and cut out little pictures of woodworking machines and place onto a paper grid. Am hoping to find an on-line version. Thanks. Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

It looks a small job: what about to cut a sheet of paper in the basic layout of each tools and other stuff you want to put there and play on the new space plan. Looks me easier and faster...
    All the best.

Osvaldo.

As an alternative, make a drawing of your shop to scale and make paper/cardboard/wood representations of your tools, etc., also to scale. Sit there and "complete the puzzle". Sometimes the screen isn't the best way to proceed. The tool representations don't have to be "exact and you can also consider including required workspace to be included around the movable pieces so that doesn't get forgotten as you play with designs
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Delta/Porter Cable had one last I knew.

I've seen a lot of people use sketchup. You can get 3d models of a lot of your tools, so it looks pretty cool if you are familiar with the tool.
    I just did keynote (similar to powerpoint) with to-scale colored blocks.

Matt

I found the Canadian version but it seems to be just tips and not the program. None of the other programs open or work. I gave up on sketch up some years ago, catch wasn't worth the chase, too much to learn for use occasional use, then at my age, go to use it again and I'd have to learn it all over again... ha ha Givnen up on looking for on line one. I'll use the Wood mag one but having log on issues. It lets you print cutouts and put on graph paper. That will work, just have to get logged in somehow. Randy PS appreciate all the suggestions!
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Seward View Post

They really need to update this to not require an out-dated and insecure application.

I wouldn't recommend installing flash to use this.. is I guess my point.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    They really need to update this to not require an out-dated and insecure application.

I wouldn't recommend installing flash to use this.. is I guess my point.
    That's probably why Grizzly took it down already. If I had to guess their Canadian version still being up is an oversight.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    I've seen a lot of people use sketchup. You can get 3d models of a lot of your tools, so it looks pretty cool if you are familiar with the tool.
    I tried the Grizzly shop model program, but it didn't work for me because it was Grizzly-specific for the equipment.

I was new to SketchUp, but have used AutoCAD in 2D mode for years. I'm not sure my experience with AutoCAD helped much since the SketchUp interface and tools are different. However, I needed to baseline the layout of my small shop before I bought any tools or made any cabinets. I spent about four hours measuring the shop, transferring the measurements to SketchUp, and looking for suitable components in the 3D warehouse library. In those cases where I couldn't find the models, I made my own rough models in SketchUp from my own measurements.

Overall, I am very pleased with the eventual ease of using SketchUp, but most importantly with the accuracy of the end product.

Here is the SketchUp model, with one of the overhead duct paths removed for clarity. The miter saw workstation in SketchUp is a variation of the plans from Jay Bates and had to be converted from imperial to metric. After creating the workstation in SketchUp, I made it an object and imported into the shop layout. There wasn't a suitable model for the Minimax SC2C saw model or Sjöbergs bench, so I made models of each in SketchUp and imported them. I didn't include any detail for the bench, but just a block to show how it would fit. The miter saw, bandsaw, drill press, jointer/planer, and Jet belt/disk sander were available as models in the 3D Warehouse.

Here is the shop as it is now. I removed the overhead duct over the miter saw workstation and added another layer of shelves, but otherwise the layout is nearly identical to the SketchUp model.

I agree with Jim Becker above about including the open floor space you need to work in around each machine.

I use graph paper and at my house one quarter in represents one foot. I have both levels of the house done on separate sheets and most of the furniture.

If you are the only working you could have say the belt disc sander facing the drill press and not leave room for two different operators to be using both machines simultaneously.

I did use SketchUp! to do a lot of the design/layout play for my shop and even built models for tools, such as my slider, J/P and drum sander. But like many, I really have not used that application much as of late due to how it's changed over time and since I wasn't using it enough to continue to maintain the "pro" license, it's been stuck as "Make 2017". if I build a new shop after what seems like an inevitable "downsize" in the next few years, I'll probably just do what I suggested in my original reply...paper with little cardboard cutouts. My own needs for this operation don't have to be super detailed because it's mostly about insuring workflow space with and around tools as I also mentioned.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...