Thread: Hardening nail hole fillers

Hardening nail hole fillers

Is there a good option for hardening nail hole filler? Seems like the vast majority of products are non-hardening.

Specifically, I used some standard "putty" (non-hardening) on face nailed pieces of hardwood flooring (at ends, stairs, etc, where the tongue couldn't be nailed) and have noticed that it's gotten dirty and partially wiped out of the holes from foot traffic, mopping, etc. I'd like to clean those holes out and replace the putty with something that will harden, but am struggling to find a good product for this.

Yeah, "putty" means non-hardening stuff. "Wood filler" means hardening stuff.
    When I need wood filler, I make color-matched filler with sanding dust from the board I'm filling, and five-minute epoxy. Some folks use shellac, but that takes longer to cure solid.

Blog Entries
    I've used MinWax Stainable wood filler. You can use your stain to color it and it dries hard.
    wood.jpeg
    I quit using those colored crayons called wood putty years ago for the exact reasons you cited.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Durham's "Rock hard" water putty works.

It takes paint well, too.

http://www.waterputty.com/

Take a look at SculpWood Paste - the natural color is generic tan wood, and you can color it.
    The open time is at least 30 minutes, hardens overnight, and sands easily.

By the way, one carton lasts me a long time, and I use it to fill voids in slabs and such, so it's pretty good value I think.
    Last edited by Mark Gibney; 11-07-2020 at 10:16 AM.

Hmmm... I've used Durham's and the Minwax "wood filler", before, but those don't seem to be quite the right product - they seem like they're for filling big cracks that will be sanded/painted, rather than just nail holes. I guess I'm wondering if there are hardening fillers that are sold pre-tinted (similar to putties) intended for nail filling in finish work.

Blog Entries
    I recently used some Timber Mate that I bought from Amazon. It set up hard and took stain.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution