Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on new Woodpeckers DP Pro Drill Press Fence

So many drill press tables use a square replaceable section at the centre of the table. This can be rotated to offer a fresh surface.

My preference is a round replaceable section which is off set. The square section provides 4 sides, while the round offers an infinite number.

I purchased, then sold, the Woodcraft fence. It, like the WP fence, made provision for dust collection. I could not get it to work well enough - with a Festool CT26e and either 27 or 36mm hoses - and in the end decided it was irrelevant.

Simpler is better ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

My plan is to duplicate that insert arrangement, Derek, when I get to making my new DP table "someday". Maybe even soon given cooler weather coming in this hemisphere and most of my clients going out of business. I have lots of personal projects lined up!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    So many drill press tables use a square replaceable section at the centre of the table. This can be rotated to offer a fresh surface.

My preference is a round replaceable section which is off set. The square section provides 4 sides, while the round offers an infinite number.
    Completely agree, Derek, and that's what I did with my table. I still haven't flipped my insert over to use the other side yet, and I made this table a few years back!
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Derek, is the laser an add on to the Nova?

I made my insert blanks square because I thought a round one might want to rotate under torque from the drill bit. But square was easier to make, and I just quickly made eight 4x4” blanks from 1/2” Baltic Birch ply. So fast and easy on the table saw, and the recess in the table was fast and easy to make with a plunge router and a straight fence.

Each blank can be used in eight spots if all you do is rotate and flip them, but I can also move the table a few mm right or left, giving me dozens of backing spots for each blank. I’m still on my first one, but when I come to the end of the line I’ll dash off eight more.

Derek, yours is elegant, but I may have almost as many position possibilities.
    Last edited by Bob Jones 5443; 11-06-2020 at 1:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford McGuire View Post
    Derek, is the laser an add on to the Nova?
    Clifford, it is a Wixey.

My apology to all if I sound like a broken record on some of these accessories and machines. I just love using them ...

The Wixey laser ...

Invaluable for setting up accurate drilling for mortices in these stool ...

One done, two to go ...

The Nova Voyager also lacks a down light ... which, to be honest, I have not really missed. Nevertheless, the one I have found easiest to add is a rechargeable bicycle light, with an epoxied on magnet ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek:

Yup, put the Wixey laser on my Nova also. Really is nice, though a bit of a pain to initially set up.

I've been using square MDF inserts on my Woodpeckers table because they are so quick and easy to make. Seems like a lot more work to make round inserts (though no question they are more useful as they should last much longer.)

One problem I have had on all of these tables is the ability to clamp small pieces. The T-tracks are always too far apart. I modified my last drill press table to have a horizontal t-track as well as the two vertical ones. Far, far easier to clamp that way.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    One problem I have had on all of these tables is the ability to clamp small pieces. The T-tracks are always too far apart. I modified my last drill press table to have a horizontal t-track as well as the two vertical ones. Far, far easier to clamp that way.
    Well that just makes too much sense. Good idea Alan.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Derek:

Yup, put the Wixey laser on my Nova also. Really is nice, though a bit of a pain to initially set up.

I've been using square MDF inserts on my Woodpeckers table because they are so quick and easy to make. Seems like a lot more work to make round inserts (though no question they are more useful as they should last much longer.)

Alan, what are needed are longer arms on the clamps!

The round inserts literally take a minute to make a half dozen at a time ...

They are marked out from a template, bandsaw them just oversize, and then a quick turn to size on the lathe.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Alan, what are needed are longer arms on the clamps!

The round inserts literally take a minute to make a half dozen at a time ...

They are marked out from a template, bandsaw them just oversize, and then a quick turn to size on the lathe.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    No lathe. Sigh...

So square it is.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off

No lathe. Sigh...

So square it is.
    Once you've done one you do the rest with a flush trim bit. That's what I did anyway.

No lathe. Sigh...

So square it is.
    Can easily set up a quick and dirty circle sanding jig for a one-off run of 5 or 6 inserts if you have belt or disk sander. Even though I have a lathe, that's how I did my first insert.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I just ordered a Nova Voyager and started looking at tables & fences. I went to WP site and saw the new DP-Pro and at first was same as most in sticker shock, but, if you built your own table and had all the features of the WP you would come to around the same price. Probably $200 for a phenolic/microdot table with t-tracks, another $100 for the tall fence, and another $100 for flip-stops and clamps.

I made a table years ago for my current Ridgid drill press based on plans from Wood Magazine (think I saw Woodcraft sells them). This has a hardboard top with t-track, a tall fence with t-track for stops, and extendable arms on the fence. I see the WP table extends but isn't extendable fence better?

If anyone has used the new fence or purchased the who system I would appreciate the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    If anyone has used the new fence or purchased the who system I would appreciate the feedback.
    I have the new fence on my homemade table. The fence works well, although I did have to extend the opening on the brackets on the back of that slightly to make it work with my T-track spacing.

dp_table.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    I just ordered a Nova Voyager and started looking at tables & fences. I went to WP site and saw the new DP-Pro and at first was same as most in sticker shock, but, if you built your own table and had all the features of the WP you would come to around the same price. Probably $200 for a phenolic/microdot table with t-tracks, another $100 for the tall fence, and another $100 for flip-stops and clamps.

I made a table years ago for my current Ridgid drill press based on plans from Wood Magazine (think I saw Woodcraft sells them). This has a hardboard top with t-track, a tall fence with t-track for stops, and extendable arms on the fence. I see the WP table extends but isn't extendable fence better?

Mike, I have the Nova Voyager and the new Woodpeckers DP table.

Overall, the table is quite nice. The drawer underneath is actually quite handy.

There is some limitation on where the table can bolt to the DP, but not of great concern.

My criticism with the table, is one I've had with all retail DP tables. They need the horizontal T-track to hold small objects. As you can see on Steve's homemade table, and Jim Becker's table https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ll-Press-Table, adding that horizontal T-track I really feel is essential.

Dust collection with the new DP fence is superb. Easily the best I've run across, so kudos there.

Clamping boards, with the rods and such for the expandable arms on the sides is sometimes challenging.

I also added the Wixey DP laser. Needs a little dialing in, but a nice addition to it for sure.

Overall, quite happy with it.
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 01-16-2021 at 8:47 AM.