Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Thoughts on new Woodpeckers DP Pro Drill Press Fence

I have had the Woodcraft version of the Woodpeckers table for several years (the original version). I upgraded with the new fence in the 36" version and like it a lot, especially the dust collection feature.
    My only problem is with the dust collection port. I looks like a 2 1/2" size but it will not fit a 2 1/2 " hose. As usual I improvised; makes cleaning up drill chips much easier.

Pat, a little unrelated, but looking at your photo I have to ask; how effective is the dust collection inside the DP fence?

The Magswitch is nice but i wanted to go with a soft material(the only real reason to cover up the powermatic table as it was farely large for a stock table.

I bought the 2' WP pro fence. So far no complaints other than the dust port is a 2-1/4". It was deceiving in pictures with the Green hose. I 3d printed an adapter but was too loose on the 2-1/4 side. Second iteration is printing tomorrow.
    Their new flip stops look nice but I had 2 Katz Moses stops on hand So I figured I wouldnt waste them

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    The Magswitch is nice but i wanted to go with a soft material(the only real reason to cover up the powermatic table as it was farely large for a stock table.

I bought the 2' WP pro fence. So far no complaints other than the dust port is a 2-1/4". It was deceiving in pictures with the Green hose. I 3d printed an adapter but was too loose on the 2-1/4 side. Second iteration is printing tomorrow.
    Their new flip stops look nice but I had 2 Katz Moses stops on hand So I figured I wouldnt waste them
    Do the Katz Moses stops work with the WP Pro fence ?

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Shriver View Post
    Pat, a little unrelated, but looking at your photo I have to ask; how effective is the dust collection inside the DP fence?
    In my experience, it's impressively effective.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I guess I was deceived too, George. From the photo, it looked like they were using a Festool hose. Figured I'd just be able to plug in my CT26. Guess not. WP has no schematics to peruse, at least none I could find. Called them, and it didn't sound like the tech had them available either.

That starting price of $400 is more than I would like to spend on a drill press!

Sorry Steve, some more questions.... Those cut out sections made for clamps, do you really use them? Seems like they would be more trouble than they're worth. On most DP tables they have the fence T tracks running to the front edge. Your design makes more sense to me. And that T track at the front
    looks particularly useful. Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Klika View Post
    Sorry Steve, some more questions.... Those cut out sections made for clamps, do you really use them? Seems like they would be more trouble than they're worth. On most DP tables they have the fence T tracks running to the front edge. Your design makes more sense to me. And that T track at the front
    looks particularly useful. Mark
    Yes, I use those cut out sections on occasion. Those are great when you have something that can't easily be clamped using a clamp that rides in the T-track. Smaller items or oddly shaped things come to mind, or something that is better held down with an F-style clamp. The openings don't get in the way at all, however debris from drilling that doesn't get picked up by the vacuum fence will obviously fall through the openings and end up on the floor.

My previous version of this table had the fence T-tracks running all the way to the front edge, and the T-track in the front ran all the way to the left and right edges (so there was a plus sign type effect where each met up). Well, okay, the tracks didn't actually run all the way, but their dado openings did. I never completed the plus sign sections with track. When I redesigned this to better fit the Woodpecker's fence I went with the design you see here, where the T-tracks are captured and there's just little openings for dropping in the bolt heads. I think this design works better, or at least looks better.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

I printed the adapter and just need to fine tune it with some sand paper to get it to work. It printed perfect on the festool side a little too big on the 2-1/4 size

Vince, I find the dust collection to be very good especially when drilling holes close to the fence.

I put a PVC elbow with a female end into the fence. It fit pretty well but I put some masking tape around it to make it more secure. Even with the tape I can still turn it. The green hose friction fits inside the male adapter. All in all, it was an instant fix that works well.IMG_2117.jpg