Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on new Woodpeckers DP Pro Drill Press Fence

Thoughts on new Woodpeckers DP Pro Drill Press Fence

Does anyone have experience or thoughts about the new woodpecker drill press fence? Basically it is hollow aluminum rectangle tube with with an opening in the center and attachment for a shop vac on the end. This allows the fence to be a conduit for dust collection. The link below also show the new table as well but I am most interested in the fence.

https://www.woodpeck.com/dp-pro-drill-press-table.html

I doubt anyone has any experience yet, as they're not due to ship until the end of the year. I ordered one of the fences a few months back, so my wait time keeps getting larger.

I'm not convinced it will work extremely well, but I'm still hoping it works better than the stay-put hose I use these days. While the suction from that hose is good, it doesn't truly "stay put" when working, especially if you have to move the piece along to cut a series of holes, or if you're swapping in and out pieces. My main concern with the Woodpecker's fence is the size of the channel, and how well large shavings from Forstner bits will travel in there. I'm hoping they don't get stuck regularly.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Sure looks purdy!

It wouldn’t fly on my DP, fence is way too high. The handles would hit it too much.

It also wouldn’t fit my budget, lol.

It’ll be like all the other WP stuff - pretty, functional, and dramatically overpriced.

Quote Originally Posted by William Chain View Post
    It’ll be like all the other WP stuff - pretty, functional, and dramatically overpriced.
    Whoa, that is a high price. If your heart is not set on thw WP fence, may I recommend checking into the Woodcraft fence ? I bought that recently and it with a couple $15 T-track clamps does everything I need a fence to do at 25% the cost.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Whoa, that is a high price. If your heart is not set on thw WP fence, may I recommend checking into the Woodcraft fence ? I bought that recently and it with a couple $15 T-track clamps does everything I need a fence to do at 25% the cost.
    That's why I only ordered the 24" fence from Woodpecker's and not their table or anything else. The fence is the same size as ones from Rockler and Woodcraft, roughly the same price, and I already have a table that should work fine for the fence.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

I really like some of the ideas behind this design for sure and may incorporate one or more into my planned DP table upgrade...the one I've been using since about 2000 needs replaced.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Like all other Woodpecker tools it is pretty and EXPENSIVE. I have built my own with several similar features for a lot less.

Guys - you can buy extruded aluminum with t-track built in or just plain t-track from amazon in a large variety of sizes and dimensions. Cut it down with a non-ferrous metal blade and make anything you like. DP fence, flattening jig, tables with t-track, whatever. Their prices are ridiculous for what you get, and it's stuff you can bang out in an hour from cheap starting materials. Even the connection hardware is accessible on amazon. Cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Sure looks purdy!

It wouldn’t fly on my DP, fence is way too high. The handles would hit it too much.

It also wouldn’t fit my budget, lol.
    This is the issue to watch for. Tall, long fences are often a problem interfering with the DP handle.

Yikes, that price. Why not save the photos for inspiration and make your own, using the features that resonate with you? I made mine out of all wood last year, with earthbound-priced T-tracks and hold-downs. It does everything I need, including precise, sturdy xy settings and nifty dust and chip pickup, plus several extras. It has revolutionized my drill press use. It turned out nice: I admire it every time I use it. I daresay I appreciate it far more because I made it, rather than one that would have cost me almost five hundred bucks. It's a drill press.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wurster View Post
    I doubt anyone has any experience yet, as they're not due to ship until the end of the year. I ordered one of the fences a few months back, so my wait time keeps getting larger.

I'm not convinced it will work extremely well, but I'm still hoping it works better than the stay-put hose I use these days. While the suction from that hose is good, it doesn't truly "stay put" when working, especially if you have to move the piece along to cut a series of holes, or if you're swapping in and out pieces. My main concern with the Woodpecker's fence is the size of the channel, and how well large shavings from Forstner bits will travel in there. I'm hoping they don't get stuck regularly.
    I ordered the 36" fence, a couple of stops, and the base since I already have the table and have to wait until they decide to ship it. But I think that it will be a good product.

It"s pretty and it will be high quality. But I dont personally need anything that elaborate, especially at that price. But if YOU can get full use out of it, you'll probably enjoy it.Bet you could build your own if you wanted to.

(Full disclosure. I have a harbor fright DP table that cost me $20, and I still dont use all if it's capabilities. The one you're looking at would be wasted on the likes of me. )
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

It solves a lot of problems that I don't have, but I do like those micro-adjust flip stops! And adding a drawer beneath is smart.

I got a chuckle out of the massive pile of forstner bit shavings in the video...

Quote Originally Posted by John Goodin View Post
    Does anyone have experience or thoughts about the new woodpecker drill press fence? Basically it is hollow aluminum rectangle tube with with an opening in the center and attachment for a shop vac on the end. This allows the fence to be a conduit for dust collection. The link below also show the new table as well but I am most interested in the fence.

https://www.woodpeck.com/dp-pro-drill-press-table.html

It looks very similar to what I have on my Kreg router table.
    David