Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Let's Talk Sawhorses

As I said earlier, I rarely us sawhorses in my shop. I built a pair of these several years ago, and use them for everything from breaking down sheet goods to staging material for various operations.

Resized_20201104_101135_2483.jpgResized_20201104_101159_9789.jpg

The plans were in a Wood Magazine publication "Big Ideas for Small Workshops". FWIW, if I were to make them again, I'd make them slightly shorter.

Blog Entries
    Make two h legs 30 to 36 inches tall, the top will be joined with door butts and a lenghth of rope ties the legs together.
    You will have a set of saw horeses that will support great weight and you can put away when you want to.

Jack, I do some metal work on occasion so I really like the steel sawhorses you made. Nice job!

Thanks, Keith. I am going to add some HDPE feet to them as I have on the table behind the horses. They have worked out really well on the table.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here are a couple of pic of what I'm using the saw horses for. Notice if I center the slabs on the saw horses there is a significant cantilever. I like the current saw horses but they have a span of 22" verses 37" for the ToughBilt:

IMG_0437 (1).jpg

IMG_0435 (1).jpg

BTW - I just picked up a set of the ToughBuilt at Home Depot so will give them a try. Just wondering with the larger span if I will now need some kind of center support.

Back when I had a working shop and traveled to job sites (late '80s) I built these https://www.finewoodworking.com/2007...assic-sawhorse which lasted more than 10 years and did everything asked of them.
    Nostalgia isn't what it used to be

Blog Entries
    Good idea on the sacrificial top... I'll have to drill some holes.. assuming you just screw the 4x4's in from the bottom?

I bought a pair of the Portamate Speedhorses. Heavy, but awesome. I'm extremely happy with them for use as an extra work surface in my shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frederick View Post
    Thanks, Keith. I am going to add some HDPE feet to them as I have on the table behind the horses. They have worked out really well on the table.
    Another great idea, I have never thought about using HDPE even though I have plenty of scrap in my barn. Thanks again!