Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk Sawhorses

Let's Talk Sawhorses

I use a pair of DeWalt sawhorses, pair of 90" long TrackTubes (aluminum 2x4's), and three 32"x48" MFT style slabs for a large 4'x8' cutting and assembling table. Love this setup but the distance between the slots in the sawhorses for the 2x4's is sort of narrow. So if I lean on a slab sometimes it wants to tip.

After looking I see there are these Bora PM-4550 Speedhorses and ToughBuilt C-700 metal sawhorses with much wider stance so seems like this would solve my tipping issue. Anyone have any experience with either of these and can provide feedback?

Thanks
    Mike

Blog Entries
    I've got a pair of ToughBuilt horses and they are impressive. Quite versatile with all the height adjustments & ways of supporting the work. I'm sure you could park a good sized car on them with no ill effects.

ToughBuilt owner here too. Love em and think theyre the best bang for the buck, especially at the Home Depot pricing when I bought mine.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Got the ToughBuilt also, love them.

Guess ToughBuilt it is. I was attracted to the Bora Speedhorse because of the auto release of the legs but besides that the Toughbuilt has them beat - and at a lower price.

Thanks for the responses.

Mike

Just an FYI..Fine Homebuilding recently did a tool test of saw horses; might want to check it out: https://www.finehomebuilding.com/202...ding-sawhorses
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Blog Entries
    I got my ToughBuilts on clearance from Lee Valley. It was a bit of an impulse purchase, but the price was almost too good to turn down. I had been considering new sawhorses that were a cut above the old wooden ones my dad made, but these just impress the heck out of me.

You have a woodworking shop right? Seems logical to make something. Japanese style horses are very easy to make.

Yes that's true for most of us, but I get my sawhorses out for projects and put them away when not in use.

My storage space is limited and I can't make compact, strong and versatile sawhorses, out of wood as good as the Toughbuilt.

I don't use saw horses in my shop much. I made a pair of folding "square folding table bases" years ago that I use for almost everything and store in minimal space. I'll post pictures after I get to the shop today.

I'm very happy with the Bora products I own to-date...don't rule out their Centipede support for some additional utility, too. I alternate between a pair of those and a couple of more traditional (albeit plastic) sawhorses for this kind of portable work support.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've had the folding steel yellow ones for years but kind of hate the legs. Need to go check out those Toughbuilts.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I won't even get into this discussion, because I have so many different ones for different purposes, from ones I make, to lightweight ones to be easy to get up in the air on scaffolding. The table saw sled you see in this picture, leaning against the cubbies, is for making wooden ones, which I have a lot of, for not only holding work, but for making platforms to stand on for many reasons.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom M King; 11-04-2020 at 9:31 AM.

Blog Entries
    On a similar, but not similar note, I fab'd up some metal sawhorsies finally.. Definitely nice to have something that can carry any amount of weight : )
    Last edited by andrew whicker; 11-04-2020 at 9:25 AM. Reason: not sure where to put the comma...

I bought a set of the Channel-lock sawhorses for my SIL. They are good to work off and fold up to about a 4x6 dimension. They have a regular and HD set . His are the lighter of the two. Pictured ar my 2x2 steel guys. Heavy, but very strong and a sacrificial wooden top.

how do I rotate photos?
    Attached Images Attached Images