Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Present Build time, again...

Glue up was done this afternoon...needed a couple extra clamp...letting sit for a while...

Plywood for the chest's bottom has been bought...1/4" x 24" x 48" Luann. i figure by the time the 1/4" Aromatic Red Cedar planks are also glued in place, there should be at least 1/2" floor for things to sit on..

stay tuned...will try to take a couple pictures, after Supper...

Too many clamps?
    Blanket Chest, Day 10,more clamps.JPG
    maybe ?
    Blanket Chest, Day 10, enough clamps.JPG
    Needed a couple others, to correct an issue with the feet..
    Blanket Chest, Day 10, foot details.JPG
    Wasn't lined up just right...

Plywood panel is awaiting being cut to size..
    Blanket Chest, Day 10, bottom panel blank.JPG
    And a bag of screws to hold it in place..
    Blanket Chest, Day 10, screws.JPG
    into a pine 1x2 cleat that I still have to mill...may need to clear the bench off, again?
    Blanket Chest, Day 10, name that tool.JPG
    "Name that tool"?

Stay tuned...

removed 16 clamps today. sanded all the glue joints flush.

Next? Set the chest on the floor, for now. Had a scrap 1 x 4 x 6' Pine board..
    Blanket Chest, Day 11, bow.JPG
    needed it cross cut to 2 lengths then ripped for 2 pieces 1-1/2" wide..
    Blanket Chest, day 11, counter bored.JPG
    Add some counter bores, and pilot holes...installed as cleats to hold the bottom panel
    Blanket Chest, Day 11, last cleat.JPG
    With glue and screws....then used the chest to mark out how big a piece of 1/4" Luann Plywood I'll need to cut...easy, just set the case on the plywood, and trace around the inside with a LONG pencil..
    Blanket Chest, Day 11, size up the panel.JPG
    Bear in mind, the two items are sitting on top of my tablesaw...and I have to reach up, over, and into the case, to reach the plywood....good thing I have long arms..then cut the blank for the bottom of the chest,,,
    Blanket Chest, Day 11, bottom panel cut.JPG

Once the cleats have cured....I can remove those clamps....add a bead of glue and and a few screws to secure the plywood in place...next payday, I'll pick up some 1/4" T&G Red Cedar planks, and line the bottom.

Until then? Sand everything down to 220 grit....and see about building a lid. looks like that will be a 4 board glue up? Maybe a bread board end thing, too?

Stay tuned..I might just get this done by Christmas...

Laundry Detail last night....meant a few more trips to the basement.....which is both the laundry room, and the woodshop....loaded up the washer for it's second load, while Load #1 was going along in the dryer...

Removed the clamps from the cleat install....bead of glue onto the cleats....push the plywood panel down into the glue...and add a few screws...
    Blanket Chest, Day 11, bottom installed.JPG
    Moved the chest over, out of the way of loaded hampers going by...
    Blanket Chest, Day 11, PIP 1.JPG
    Then...next trip to check on both machines...hauled 4 planks to the shop....rough cut to length....then ripped for a slightly better fit of a lid..
    Blanket Chest, Day 12, 4 lid blanks.JPG
    had a couple areas in one plank to remove, so it is now the skinny filler strip....I now have a stack of cut-offs to sort through...
    Blanket Chest, Day 12, pile of cut-offs.JPG
    As I also need 2 strips for the bread board ends.....I'll need to clear the deck for action, before anything else gets done, today
    Blanket Chest, Day 12, clean up aisle 1.JPG

And get out the Jointer plane....hmmm..a No. 7c? A No. 6 or 6c? Maybe the old No. 8?
    Stay tuned...

Took a few minutes, but..
    Blanket Chest, Day 12, cleared bench.JPG
    Deck is now cleared for action....
    As for those 4 blanks....I squared the ends up a bit...then started to joint the edges..
    Blanket Chest, Day 12, Stanley #7.JPG
    Using a Stanley No. 7c, Type 9.....but, that was a bit too much plane...downshifted to a Stanley No. 6, Type 10, AND an Auburn No. 81
    Blanket Chest, Day 12, #81 and No. 6.JPG
    Yes, the #81 is a bit long...but, it weighs about half of what the #7c does...
    Checked for any gaps..
    Blanket Chest, Day 12, check for gaps.JPG
    yep, there are indeed 2 boards there...kept going..
    Blanket Chest, Day 12, 3 boards, no gaps.JPG
    3 boards, still no gaps....was finally able to lay out all four boards to see what the grain will look like..
    Blanket Chest, Day 12, 4 board lay out.JPG
    needed to work on the skinny "filler" board a bit more...finally able to glue and clamp them all together..
    Blanket Chest, day 12, glue up time.JPG
    I also managed to rip some stock to make 2 bread board ends from...
    Blanket Chest, Day 12, bread board blanks.JPG
    All from one board...will select the best two, of these. Right now, two are serving as cauls..
    To keep the one end of the blank flat....had an issue with the ends not wanting to meet up flat....cauls made them match.

Will let this sit overnight...maybe tomorrow, I can work the panel up into a lid?
    Stay tuned...

Sunday was a day "off" consisting of making sure nothing would get wet, just in case that Thunderstorm would cause the creek to rise in the shop...I guess that counts as "Day 13"? Chest wound up sitting on the panel glue up, sitting on the tablesaw. Today, despite it being a Monday Figured I could at least sand the chest to about 120 grit... had to get it off of the saw, and onto the bench...
    Blanket Chest, Day 14, underside.JPG
    All sanded smooth...changed the router bit to a cove bit ( it had a dovetail bit in it) and ran that around,,
    Blanket Chest, Day 14, cove details.JPG
    The feet areas were a bit tricky to do..
    Blanket Chest, Day 14, foot details.JPG
    sanding drum in the Dremel helped blend things together....Ok, I can set this chest aside...remove the cauls and clamps from the lid blank..
    Blanket Chest, Day 14, lid blank.JPG
    Not the prettiest sight...but, a new belt in the beltsander, and a jack plane...
    Blanket Chest, Day 14, flatten the lid.JPG
    Soon had things almost flat...not perfect, but close enough...Ends needed a trim looking a bit ragged, and the lid was a hair too long...skil saw and the fence..
    Blanket Chest, Day 14, ends trimmed.JPG
    One done, mark the other...
    Blanket Chest, Day 14, jig ready.JPG
    And the other end is trimmed....was I done with the fence? Nope...stay tuned..

Ok..happen to have another router, still set up from when I made this computer desk....
    Blanket Chest, Day 14, router is next.JPG
    Think I bought the No. 610 for $5? Anyway....reset the fence so the edge of the cutter is at the edge of the panel....idea is to mill a tongue on the ends of the panel, for the bread board ends to fasten to..one face at a time..
    Blanket Chest, Day 14, half a tongue.JPG
    I had a plywood scrap marked up to where to set the fence at...flip the panel over..
    Blanket Chest, Day 14, tongue done.JPG
    Complete the first tongue. Rotate the panel around, and mill the other tongue...
    Those two "cauls" were next. Trimmed to length...then set up to mill a groove....more of a "nibble" than a mill....until I have a nice slip fit..
    Blanket Chest, day 14, lid bread boarded.JPG
    Then glue and clamps...
    Blanket Chest, Day 14, ends installed.JPG
    That caul? Was clamped to keep that end flat until the edge was in place...yes, I glued the ends on...panel consists of 4 narrow boards...not much to move...

Stay tuned...

Day 15: Have the lid done..
    Blanket Chest, Day 15, coved lid.JPG
    And added a box to the inside...
    Blanket Chest, Day 15, needs hinges.JPG
    Hinges will be bought, later today...for both Lids...
    Blanket Chest, Day 15, handle details.JPG
    Clamps can come off today, as well....

Hinges have been bought...for both lids. Can of stain, and a couple brushes....need to test it out on some scraps of ash. Sanding discs for the ROS, just in case. carton of Red Cedar "Closet Liner" planks, to line the bottom of the chest with...waiting on glue to dry on the box....and see about hinge installs...tomorrow.....48 years ago today wife and I got married....going to take the rest of the evening off...

Congrats Steven!

Build also looking very good!

Thanks for sharing.

Thank you.

Today was all about installing hinges.....and snapping a pilot hole bit.....
    Blanket Chest, Day 16, it even closes.JPG
    Box lid. Hinges are sitting with the barrel down...as the main lid will be "landing" here...took a bit of extra digging..
    Blanket Chest, Day 16, router work.JPG
    To allow the barrel enough room....the snapped pilot hole drill bit?
    Blanket Chest, Day 16, pilot hole drills.JPG
    Of course, it would have to be the skinny one...the hard to get a replacement for....

As for the "piano hinge" ....a corded router buzzed down enough of the back rail's top edge to allow the hinge to sit flush....about the 3rd screw hole, was when I snapped that tip....left just enough sticking out, that a pair of visegrips could pull it out....then chuck the VIX bit into the cordless drill....
    Blanket Chest, Day 16, ready for stain.JPG
    Then re-install the driver bit. Chest is sitting like this, because I can stain the entire insides better...
    Blanket Chest, Day 16, inside stained.JPG
    Except for the plywood "floor".....I now have a box of Aromatic Red Cedar planks to do the floor with...
    Blanket Chest, Day 16, Cedar planks.JPG
    And I don't want any other finishes to impact the Cedar.....

May try to varnish the insides tomorrow....and see about attaching the main lid.

Will start looking or a mortise latch/lock...as some way to keep the lid shut. Also trying to decide IF this chest would use handles on the ends.....but NOT in the raised panels...

Stay tuned...

Insides now have a coat of clear gloss poly....lid has been installed, even has a "backstop" to keep it from tilting back too far when opened...outside has been stained ( brush on/wiped down) and then a coat of BLO (brushed on,wiped down)....
    Blanket chest, PIP 1, colour check.JPG
    Still need to stain the underside of the main lid, and see about a handle for the ends....
    July Project handle...installed.JPG
    Something like this...centered on the top rail on the ends...?

Clear out a large space in the shop.....and set the chest on the floor...have cedar plank floor to install...stain and varnish the underside of the main lid....and maybe get a few better pictures...

Stay tuned....one month to go....wonder how to wrap this up as a present.....maybe just a big red bow?

Cleaned up an area to work on the floor..
    Shop Cleaned up, saw put away.JPG
    Got the underside of the main lid stained and wiped down..
    Blanket Chest PIP, lid prop 2.JPG
    Used the mitersaw to cut the cedar planking..
    Blanket Chest PIP, Plank cutter.JPG
    And installed that..
    Blanket Chest PIP, Cedar floor.JPG

Test out the backstop..
    Blanket Chest PIP, backstop in use.JPG
    Just an Ash scrap, glued across the back of the chest, right below the hinge..
    Blanket Chest PIP, back side view.JPG
    Just got back home, after buying a couple handles to install, after the varnishing is done....
    Blanket Chest PIP, front view.JPG
    Stay tuned....only a month left, to get this ready for that big RED bow....

Insides still need to "air out" a bit more....may give yet another day.....fun part will be varnishing both sides of the lid.....AND the outside of the case....in one session.....sure to be cussing involved then...

Have about 4 weeks to get the Finish done......should be about right? handles have been drilled, to allow them to be attached with screws from the outside.....I ground off the fake screw heads, and drilled new holes right in the same spots.....had to sharpen the drill bit, first...

Outsides and both sides of the lid...chest now has it's first coat of Clear Gloss Poly on....will see how it looks later Tuesday. Better screws have been made to fit the new handles. fake screwheads on the handles were removed, and then drilled on through to accept the new "real" screws...

Either 320 grit paper, or, 0000 steel wool rub down Tuesday.....and see about the next coat of varnish.....