Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Present Build time, again...

Day #5 started out...ok....didn't end very well

Got the last 2 panels glued up
    Blanket Chest, Day 5, panels 5 and 6.JPG
    Hmm, for some reason, I needed cauls on both faces...ok...
    Squared up the other 4 panels...didn't need to cut much off..
    Blanket Chest, Day 5, square an edge.JPG
    One of the ends didn't even need a cut...checked to see if the panels will fit...without dropping straight through..
    Blanket Chest, Day 5, first 2 panels.JPG
    Then jig a panel up on the bench, and flatten one face...
    Blanket Chest, Day 5, flatten the panel.JPG
    then a #4 smooth plane to make a few beveled edges..
    Blanket Chest, Day 5, start the bevel.JPG
    Trying for a raised panel look...
    Blanket Chest, Day 5, corner bevel.JPG
    looking for that "crisp" corner detail....got all the edges beveled...needed to make rebates on the other side...
    Blanket Chest, Day 5, groove fits.JPG
    So the stiles and rails would fit like this was going along great (kept hearing a cracking noise?)
    Blanket Chest, Day 5, one more to go.JPG

It was when I went to rebate the LAST edge...one of the sections decided to..."Un-glue" itself, when I clamped the panel back down...

Pull the two pieces out of the jig, joint both edges (apparently "Spring Joint Glue Up is not a "thing" dealing with Ash)....then figure out a way to clamp the two back together with a fresh bead of glue..and hope the clamps stay put....until then...bench is closed, because the jig is part of the clamp-up...so..shop is closed until tomorrow...maybe....

Spent a bit of "overtime" today....should have just stopped at 2 hrs.....instead of working 3.5 hours....I'll set a timer, tomorrow.

Stay tuned

It's looking good! I'm impressed with how productive you are - you get a lot done in a few hours per day.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Thanks for the interesting build journal.

Ok, Day 6....went a little bit better than Day#5 did...got the broken panel all fixed up, last rebate milled,,then a dry fit..
    Blanket Chest, Day 6, 1st panel dry fitted.JPG
    was still ticked off from yesterday...decided to cheat a bit..tilted the tablesaw blade to 15 degrees, set the fence (and zero clearance overlay) so 1/2" between the blade and the fence,,,ran all four edges through...then reset the saw, and run the rebates through...2 cuts per rebate...then back to the bench, and use a couple planes to tidy things up...
    Blanket Chest,Day 6, rebate fine tuning.JPG
    like rebates....bevels were planed smooth, burn marks were removed....took a few tries to get the next dry fit to FIT the way I wanted it to..
    Blanket Chest,Day 6, 2nd panel fitted.JPG
    I also cut the new foot profile...
    Blanket Chest, Day 6, foot details, curves.JPG
    then knock the dry fit down to just parts...do the other foot...cleared off the tablesaw, lowered the blade....had a glue up to do..
    Blanket Chest, Day 6, too many clamps.JPG
    Might have just enough clamps? had to "hammer adjust" a couple spots....
    Blanket Chest, Day 6,one more clamp.JPG
    this is sitting face down...the grooves you can see is where the end's tongues will fit, when I glue up the entire case....so far, just either a "Front' or a "Back" is done...which was the plan for today..Monday, the shop is usually closed..that "Monday Thing"....will give this panel a day to cure...then sand it down smooth...while i try to get another frame done..

Stay tuned....( only spent 2 hours in the shop, today...)

Steve
    You get whole project done in the time it takes me to cut a couple dovetails. You must flat out move in that shop.

Excited to see the end result

Clearly you think bigger than I.... I will make (at my sister's request) toothpick boxes.

Smart me would just cut the sides ta 45 degrees and glue these together. Stupid me will cut tiny little dovetails.

Somedays, I seem to move way too fast....and that gets me into trouble.....I have to learn when to slow down a bit...to get a better fit..

Not a fan of working on Mondays, either...bad things seem to happen when I do...

Andrew: Even worse? Try hand cut finger joints on that small box.....BTDT...
    Block Plane storage boxes, 1.JPG Block Plane storage boxes,3.JPG

This is great! By the time I start thinking of Christmas presents, it's too late to make them.

Seems whenever I go to the basement to do things other than woodworking.....I almost always wind up doing woodworking anyway....

Monday? 2 road trips...one to go and buy one more 1 x 6 x 6' Ash board...making sure the grain will line up with the 3 planks on hand..in order to have a wide enough panel for a lid....the second one was to Harbor Freight, as a couple sanding belts were worn out ( one was starting to break at the seam, do NOT buy those blue belts) and decided to install the new belts ( wasn't paying Lowes for their gold-plated belts)....one thing led to another in the shop...decided to at least try them out, and check how they tracked.....the 4" x 36" needed the tracking adjusted....the 3" x 21" did not...

Tried to flatten a panel, with the jack plane...
    Blanket Chest,Day7, flatten a panel.JPG
    Was an issue with some "dots" of dried glue.....to save the iron in the jack plane...I simply buzzed them flat with the new sanding belt....same with the burn marks on the feet of the chest...used the new belt on the 4 x 36 sander....120 grit belts on both sanders.....

happened to be thinking of an idea.....to hold a panel perfectly vertical on the tablesaw.....came up with a jig...of sorts
    Blanket Chest, day 7, ready to go.JPG
    2 pieces of scrap, and 2 c clamps....to make a "slider" that can run on top of the rip fence...
    Blanket Chest, Day 7, slider details.JPG
    A 1 x 2 sits on the top of the fence, a strip of plywood keeps the 1 x 2 aligned with the fence....c clamps hold a panel to the 1 x 2 and the plywood holds everything to the fence...I can then push the panel through a cut safely....no wiggles going on ( had to wax the fence for the jig to slide better)just slide the part through nice and steady, no burn marks..
    Blanket Chest,Day 7, last bevel cut.JPG

Now, when doing a couple panels as a Raised Panel using hand planes MIGHT be nice....it tends to be slow, unless you want a good Cardio Workout going on....and the surfaces weren't always nice and flat when done....or as consistent...tablesaw can be bad, as well....holding the panel vertical by hand, edge dropping down into the saw....a slider can get better, repeatable cuts....
    Blanket Chest,Day 7, last bevel done.JPG
    Without burning, kickbacks, and other such defects....and as long as you push the jig through the cut, without stopping, things don't burn....explains that small burn mark...

Zero Clearance Overlay....is simply a 1/4" strip of plywood, wide enough to sit under the rip fence, and support anything being cut....can't use the mitre gauge with it....not really suppose to.

Even the (cheek/shoulder) cut for the rebates.
    Blanket Chest, Day 7, rebate cuts.JPG
    can be done safely. And, not as stressful to either me, or the panel...to complete a rebate cut....use just the rip fence, and lay the panel flat on the saw...
    Blanket Chest, Day 7, rebates done.JPG
    two panels all nicely raised, with a rebate to sit in the grooves of the frames...

I mentioned working on the burn marks on the leg's feet, from an old, DULL bandsaw blade? And removed those with the new belt? well I also traced around the revised feet onto the old pattern feet, the bandsawed those....thought I might as well do a glue up of the second large frame ( front/back?) as the tablesaw was now cleared off..
    Blanket Chest, Day 7, Frame #2 glued up.JPG
    So much for not working IN the shop on Mondays....

May head to the shop about 1pm, or so? And start on Day 8.....wonder how far I'll get today...in 2 hours....

Your work progressing nicely...Good job....Take it slow, easy..
    Jerry

One of THOSE days, today....just get started...had to run to the store...groceries were needed! Then back home, try again....had started on building a better slider for my rip fence
    Build a jig, new slider parts.JPG
    Was jointing an edge for the jig to slide along on....contractor shows up to measure the roof...mess around with that...until he handed me the estimate..to send to the Landlord...then back to the shop, again
    Build a jig, details.JPG
    Found enough short screws to assemble the jig....and set this aside for a while...
    Frame #2 came out of the clamps...
    Blanket Chest, Day 8, 2 frames done.JPG
    And set it over in front of Frame #1...looks like a match? then the last 2 panels came ( unwillingly) out of their clamps...trimmed them square, and made sure they were close to the same size..then start on flattening 4 faces ( and NOT mine..)
    Blanket Chest, Day 8, flatten another panel.JPG
    Finally got all four done..
    Blanket Chest, Day 8, last panel flattened.JPG
    Time to set up the new jig on the tablesaw!
    Blanket Chest, Day 8, new slider ready.JPG
    Blade tilted to 15 degrees..made sure it was high enough ( it wasn't, another turn of the crank cured that..)then gave it a shove...
    Blanket Chest, Day 8, needs shims.JPG
    It didn't want to slide!...added those shims ( just a strip of course sandpaper) and tried again..
    Blanket Chest, Day 8, set up for bevels...JPG

Slid a bit better..was also clamping it too low...

stay tuned...start time today was around 1-2pm....end time? almost 6pm....sheesh..

part 2 of today's follies...bevels were getting done...
    Blanket Chest, Day 8, burn marks removed.JPG
    Used the old Stanley No. 3c, type 11 to remove any burn marks.."What burn marks?" That's the idea...

Bevels are all done...reset the saw to do both of the rebate cuts...one on the vertical..
    Blanket Chest,Day 8, reabte started.JPG
    All the way around both panels...then reset the saw...
    Blanket Chest, Day 8, second rebate cut.JPG
    using just the rip fence, run the panels through on the flat...all the way around....test for fit...was a tad fat..we have ways.
    Blanket Chest, Day 8, rebate cleaned up.JPG
    Not taking too much off, and checking as I went for fit...
    Blanket Chest, Day 8, test fit...JPG
    had a couple bumps in the bevels to flatten out, too....until time for the dry fits..
    Blanket Chest, Day 8, dry fit #1.JPG
    Frame #1 and Frame #2..
    blanket Chest,Day 8, second dry fit.JPG

Might as well spread some glue, and add some clamps..
    Blanket Chest, Day 8, 1st end glued up, cauls.JPG
    And a few cauls...also made sure the panels were centered..and set things aside to cure, for a day..
    BRB..

Panels got centered in the frames..
    Blanket Chest, Day 8, panel centered.JPG
    panel #2 was having issues with a couple clamps..they didn't want to stay put...the 2 clamps are resting comfortably on the floor where they landed...I got out some "better" clamps...
    Blanket Chest, Day 8, 2nd end glued up, cauls.JPG
    I used a few cauls, because one leg was trying to lift up, instead of laying flat...

left this sit on the bench, for tonight...needed to sweep up the shop..
    Blanket Chest, Day 8, clean up, Aisle #1.JPG
    "Clean up, Aisle #1!" Then hang up the apron..
    Blanket Chest,Day 8, hang it up, quitting time.JPG
    Turn off the work lights, and the shop fan...and called it a day...

May go out and buy a 1/2" pine HandiPanel ..2' x 4' to use as the bottom for the chest...will price some Aromatic Red Cedar as a liner...and a hinge....may go with three "butt hinges" instead of the piano style hinge,.....need to make some cleats, to attach the bottom panel to..

Stay tuned.

Today was a bit laid back, trying to rest up from Yesterday's long sessions....clamps came off everything, cauls were removed...no cracks were to be heard....except for the whack of a caul being removed...
    Cleared off the tablesaw...lowered the blade out of sight...decided to try just a "Dry Run" of dry fits...more to see how things will fit together, and IF there will be enough room on the saw's top.....and get the "Brigade of Clamps all set up and ready to go....when I do the glue up...later, too worn out today to attempt such a thing...so, first corner..
    Blanket Chest, Day 9, dry fit, 1st corner.JPG
    With a small c clamp up at the foot holding the 2 sides still...framer square to see IF it is indeed a square corner...it was...then
    Blanket Chest, Day 9, dry fit, 2nd corner.JPG
    Place the other end on the saw, clamp the foot together....so far, so good...then the 4th side..
    Blanket Chest, Day 9, dry fit, all 4 sides clamped.JPG
    used both the small c clamps, and a few F clamps...one corner wanted to protest a bit....
    Blanket Chest, Day 9, dry fit, end details.JPG
    And a clamp or two the long way...this end is 16-1/2" wide, chest stands (without the lid)22-1/4" tall, and is 28-1/8" wide across the front/back....

Spent maybe an hour in the shop....may get around to a glue up..tomorrow?
    Stay tuned..