Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router lifts Jessem router lift 2 vs Kreg prs5000

Router lifts Jessem router lift 2 vs Kreg prs5000

What is the difference between the 2 routers? The Kreg is about $100 more but is it worth it?
    Last edited by Chris Klein; 11-03-2020 at 10:51 AM.

That Jessem model is a phenolic plate, the Kreg is aluminum. I have the Kreg and like it a lot.

Haven't had the Kreg, but have a Jessum Master-Lift II in my table. It has held up great and is precise and easy to use. It fit my Dewalt router with no trouble.

I also have that Kreg and like it.

I have the Jessem also and have never had any trouble with it. I've had it about 5 years.

Blog Entries
    So . . . There you go.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I've been eyeing the II. I am between that and the Woodpecker lift. What do you like about the Jessem? It has been really hard to decide which one.

For me, the Jessum just works. It has plenty of leveling screws to allow adjustment so that it sits dead even with the surrounding table. Also, I like that the crank for raising and lowering the router moves smoothly with precise markings for tiny adjustments. TLock keeps the setting once engaged. One warning though, the throat plates (plastic) turn to lock in place, so shop made plates aren't possible. I did buy the pack of throat plates offered by Jessum and I've never needed something else.

I’ll hack the thread a touch... I have been looking seriously at the woodpeckers precision router lift v2, as I have their router plate right now, and the inserts are compatible between both. Any one have personal experience with them woodpeckers one and either of the other two? The jessum, woodpeckers, and Kreg seem to all be pretty well reviewed.

The Jessem Rout-R-Lift-II has separate models for different router motor diameters. They are not interchangeable.

The Jessem Mast-R-Lift-II has adjustable blocks that securely hold a wide range of router motors.

The Incra Mast-R-Lift-II (made by Jessem) is different (besides color) only in that it has steel throat plates that are held in place by strong magnets, and do not require tools to remove/replace. The Jessem version has plastic inserts that require a special pin spanner wrench to remove/replace. The tool is included.

I have the Incra, and the manufacturing/design quality is excellent.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

I have 2 of the Jessem's, RRL2, or whatever they are for the Bosch 1617. My first one was concave, so I milled it flat and cut all the inserts to be flush while I was at it. And then I got another one on a close out at Woodcraft, and milled it to match the first so the inserts are interchangeable.

No locks on them, but I've never noticed them drift off a setting.

I like the magnet idea a lot, but not so keen on a steel plate around the bit.

The only issue I've had is the first one had the elevation screw seize up. Nice to have a spare ...

I replaced the screw with a piece of stainless all-thread I scrounged/pilfered. The nuts were buggered as well, and it took more than a tap to fix them. I think I had to run a drill thru as well to clean up what had been swaged out by the mangled screw. But it works fine now.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Van Dyke View Post
    I have been looking seriously at the woodpeckers precision router lift v2
    This is the one I have. It is also the only one I have ever had so I cannot give you a comparison. I will say I have no complaints about the lift though.

I also have the Woodpeckers and am very satisfied with it. It was purchased at least 10-15 years ago or thereabouts and works great. Never had an issue with it. Once zeroed, if 0.25 inch is required, it is achieved with simply watching the dial.

I have the Woodpeckers PRL V2 and a Jessum Master Lift II with and Incra top plate for the magnetic clean sweep inserts.

Of the two, I prefer the Jessum, although my PRL-V2 gets used the most because it's in a standalone router table. My Jessum sits in and extension in my tablesaw.

I had to send my Woodpeckers back to Woodpeckers as the nylon gear stripped out. Repair was free, other than me paying shipping, which I think, and could be wrong, had to pay both directions and it was gone for 4 weeks. This was about 2 years ago, so before COVID.

If I was to buy again, I would buy the Jessum first.

I have both the Woodpeckers PRL table and the Jessem Excel table.

The jessem excel is my first choice because there is no insert plate to level and the height adjustment is controlled by a hand crank with a cam lock.

The woodpeckers lift is finely machined, has a very good microadjust, and the spring assisted lift mechanism makes for rapid bit changes. The downsides to the woodpeckers prl is sawdust gets caked in the 1/8" hex head set screw that locks the micro adjust, and there are more external parts to keep track of.

The jessem excel table is best, but if I were getting an insert router lift, I would pick the woodpeckers over the jessem because of the finer tuning on the micro adjust. I would probably not buy the Kreg lift because the table cutout is an odd size and it doesn't offer anything that isn't already perfected by both the jessem and woodpeckers lifts. It is, however, more expensive.

Also, woodpeckers and jessem aren't tool makers who are expanding into the router lift market. They are precision machining companies. Kreg started off as a one trick pony and now has it's toes in multiple streams of woodworking revenue, from pocket holes, to jigs and clamps, to power tools, to router lifts. I'm sure the kreg lift works fine, but I don't imagine it will have the longevity, tight tolerances, or aftermarket support of jessem or woodpeckers