Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Tools

The only new bought stationary machines in my shop have a Grizzly badge on them. The drum/disk sander has given me faithful service for 25 years; my G-0636X bandsaw is a real gem, though I've only had it about 3 years. I had a 1.5 HP shaper, too, but sold it after about 15 years because I just didn't use it much. I got back nearly what I paid for it. Of the three machines, the shaper was pretty unrefined though it did it's job OK. Customer service has always been very good, and that's over at least 25 years.

I prefer used machines because they offer more value for your money, but I've had nothing but good experience with the Grizzly machines I've purchased and would buy from them again without hesitation.

John

There are people who love Grizzly tools and those who wouldn't use them as boat anchors. I have a wide mix of tools in my shop, most used but several new tools. For new I lean to Grizzly simply because of the savings. When their tools are made in the same factories as Powermatic (and other brands) the decision IMO is can I do the repairs if, say a bearing needs replacing sooner. There's also a chance that you will need to fine tune your new Grizzly tool some. I would pick a specific model and then do a search for it to see how people like it or post a thread about that machine to get opinions.

Grizzly sells SawStop. They had 3 SS table saws on the Springfield show floor when I visited a couple weeks ago.

I have several Grizzly tools and as a hobbyist they work great. The 1023 table saw has done everything I need it to do and would only upgrade to a Sawstop. Customer service has been great. They staff is knowledgeable and parts are available. I have also seen quite a few old Grizzly tools in professional shop that ran great.

Louisville KY.(central KY) to Springfield MO. look like about a 7 hour ride. Would driving to Springfield MO. make sense for you vs. paying shipping? Do you have a way to haul multiple machines? That would take the shipping damage risk out of the equation. The only Griz machine I have is a G1023 but I'd have no reservations about buying another if Griz seemed like the best choice.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 11-04-2020 at 5:38 AM.

Hi Thomas, welcome to the forum.

I have a few comments

1) I would buy an Oneida cyclone, made in the US, great product, mine is 18 years old, works great, good separation of fine dust.

2) If I were to buy a cabinet style saw, the Sawstop is the one I would get, that said, you could never convince me to go backwards to a cabinet saw. I have, and would recommend a short stroke Euro style sliding saw such as a Hammer or Minimax. Capability, capacity, accuracy, safety and dust collection efficiency. I have a small 49” stroke Hammer that can support and crosscut a sheet, as well it has a scoring blade for chip free cuts in melamine.

3) I replaced my 8” jointer with a 12” jointer/planer combo, saved space, greatly increased jointer size,mine’s a Hammer A3-31,

Have fun with the shop planning.......Regards, Rod.

Over the last 12 years I have shipped about 10 stationary tools from grizzly. No issues. I deal with shipping from miami myself.

MK

I used to love grizzly. I have a bandsaw jointer and planer. I wont be buying any more though. I had hell trying to get a G0891 fixed(less than a month old). It was skipping the chain. Grizzly kept acting like it was new issue they had never seen. Finally was able to return after a month dealing with it.

But the reason I wont buy another grizzly tools is their reviews on their website. Take a look at the reviews. They are all positive. They will not post a review that is negative. I tried to post multiple reviews in August and they never put them up.

The only reviews I read are ones that I know are independent by someone I feel actually owns the tool and has used it for more than 5 minutes. Usually that's forums like here at SMC. The stuff on sites like Amazon or a company's own website is more likely propaganda used to try and sell something.

I have several tools from Grizzly, as well as a number of other makers. I would not hesitate to recommend Grizzly tools.

The other thing about their parts operation is that they have been able to help me find replacement parts (maybe not from the original manufacturer) for a number of other makes of tools. They have helped me with replacement capacitors for a saw motor, replacement parts for a jointer, and several other things that I couldn't buy from the original manufacturer.

They helped me to find replacement parts for another brand (name starts with a Gen...) for 25% of what the other manufacturer wanted for them, plus I didn't have to pay to have them shipped from Canada.

I have several Grizzly tools in my shop that include G0609X 12" spiral head jointer, G0454Z 20" spiral head planer, G0561 metal cutting bandsaw, G0514X2 19" bandsaw, G1071 spindle sander, G0564 oscillating edge sander, and a few other smaller grizzly tools... I looked carefully at the Grizzly dust collection, but I ended up going with the ClearVue CV1800 which has been a fantastic dust collection system. I've only had one problem with a machine and that was my G0561 metal cutting bandsaw... the vise started slipping when clamping down tightly. Grizzly customer service was fantastic in working with me to diagnose the problem and send replacement parts. They even called me to send me a reminder to give them my serial number and date stamp when I had slacked off and forgotten to provide them the information. After I called in with the information they sent me a replacement part right away and my vise is working again.

In general all of my machines have performed very well... I've generally been pretty happy with the quality, although there is room for improvement in some areas.

I have a G0833P TS, G0555LX BS, two dust collectors (wall mounted and mobile), a tenoning jig, and three Bear Crawl mobile bases from Grizzly and have been very pleased with them and their tech support is very good when I needed it.

I own several Grizzly tools. Of the ones you specifically asked about I have the Shop Fox version of the G0490 jointer and love it. I also have a 3hp cyclone and have no issues with it either. I had a G0513 bandsaw before I upgraded to something larger in another brand. I had zero issues with it except it was not big enough. Their bandsaws are pretty well liked across the board. I have heard their drill presses are so so. My issues with them looking at the specs is the short spindle travel. I have an old PM1200 with 6" travel. Customer service is great. I have used them a couple of times. Nothing big. No shipping issues with my tools but I hear it can be a problem. I can fix tools so I don't mind them shipping parts for the cost benefits. Grizzly has a wide range of quality across a large # of tools so you can't make a general comment about all of Grizzly. The same thing can be said about other tool companies, electronics, appliances, etc.

I bought their 24" wide belt sander last year and am very happy with it. I just wish I had bought the bigger model.

No issues whatsoever with delivery.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Moses View Post
    (snip)...
    But the reason I wont buy another grizzly tools is their reviews on their website. Take a look at the reviews. They are all positive. They will not post a review that is negative. I tried to post multiple reviews in August and they never put them up.
    Why would you ever trust anyone's review on a company's website?

I'm a high level contributor to TripAdvisor, and there are a few restaurants that they won't let me write reviews of. I submit them, they aren't caustic, just negative, and they won't post them or give me a reason. Hmmm.....
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.