Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly Tools

Grizzly Tools

I am about to pull the trigger on a shop full of tools and need some advice.

i will be buying an 8” Helical Jointer, a 17” Drill Press and a 14” Bandsaw to start, I’m getting a 52” Sawstop as well. I may even consider a 5hp cyclone dust collection system as well from Grizzly.

I am considering Grizzly for everything except of course the table saw.

i would like to get the good, bad and ugly about Grizzly from people that have owned them.

How is their customer service after the sale, I have read about shipping issues and missing parts, have they been resolved, ease of assembly and of course quality of output.

Any help/advice that the great folks here on this forum can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Location? Shipping outside of the USA can be problematic.
    Bill D

If I'm not mistaken, you can buy the SawStop from them, too. Grizzly does have an extensive parts operation.

If you are going to buy a lot of stuff concurrently, you may want to ring them on the good old fashioned phone and see if there is any available shipping cost benefit for multiple tools at the same time.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I am a repeat customer of grizzly. Would not hesitate to to buy more.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Darscheid View Post

i will be buying an 8” Helical Jointer, a 17” Drill Press and a 14” Bandsaw to start, I’m getting a 52” Sawstop as well. I may even consider a 5hp cyclone dust collection system as well from Grizzly.

i would like to get the good, bad and ugly about Grizzly from people that have owned them.

How is their customer service after the sale, I have read about shipping issues and missing parts, have they been resolved, ease of assembly and of course quality of output.

Any help/advice that the great folks here on this forum can offer would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Location? Shipping outside of the USA can be problematic.
    Bill D
    central my

central Kentucky

Grizzly has been discussed here quite a lot. To see those threads, go to google's "advanced search". Enter "grizzly reviews" or just "grizzly". Before starting your search, page down in google to "site or domain' and enter www.sawmillcreek.org". A ton of good discussion will come up to help you.

Good luck!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    I have a few Grizzly tools in the shop. The jointer (G0490X) has been a real gem. I went with parallelogram beds because I NEVER wanted to have to align dovetail ways again. I have not had to adjust alignment since it was first setup. I have a 2HP Grizzly cyclone and it has been great. I would strongly consider a Clear Vue if I were looking today.

If you are going for the typical cast iron 14" saw I would shop used. If you are looking at steel framed I would go larger, they aren't that expensive when compared to other machines. MY G0513X has been another gem. Bought it used, aligned it properly and it still brings a smile to my face when I use it after all these years.

I have a 3HP PCS 52" tablesaw and have been nothing but happy with it. It was the best machine at that price tier even without the safety feature. There are some folks who really love to hate Grizzly. I suspect some of this comes from expecting a $1000 tool to perform like a $5000 tool. Good or bad, I find most input useful. Read them all and make your own decision. Have Fun.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 11-03-2020 at 11:08 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have a grizzly 5hp cyclone dust collector. It has been a real good unit so far (6 years). I plan to upgrade/replace the filters this coming year. Grizzly has good service and parts available. Just remember you are the "Tech". This is not even a consideration for me as I am used to buying all my machines used and fixing stuff as needed. Tons of threads on here about Grizzly ,listen to Fred and you could read for 3-4 weeks... I would also second Glens recommendation to buy a bigger bandsaw or just buy a 14'' used instead of new. The TS is where I would differ,I would buy a small slider before I would plunk down the cash for a Sawstop. More versatile and also very safe as well. One of my ex employees bought a Grizz 1023 saw about 2 years ago and it is a real nice saw every bit as good as my 25 year old Unisaw. The quality is there in Grizzly tools as long as you pick the right ones out of the pile. Read the posts in the archives that will help you figure out the tools guys really like.
    Last edited by Mike Kees; 11-02-2020 at 8:21 PM.

I have a G0490X 8" helical jointer and a standalone sander with a 12 disk and oscillating spindle. Like Glenn, the jointer has been great and I haven't had any issues with the sander.

When I ordered a 36" SS straightedge from them, at one end it didn't meet advertised specs. I contacted their customer service department, they apologized for my problem, shipped me another one and told me to keep or pitch the original.

Their tools are a lot of bang for the buck, IMO. I would consider them again.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Darscheid View Post

You'll get a biased opinion on this forum.

Grizzly will have parts longer than most others which is a major concern if you are younger and planning to use the machines for 20 plus years. Any machine from anyone can arrive damaged. They even sent me a new Grizzly placard and decals that got scratched on my 17in. bandsaw.

Leneave Supply

I would get a quote at Leneave Supply too. Charlotte NC.
    They carry a variety of tools, family owned for decades.
    I just bought a Jet 18-36 to be delivered tomorrow.
    Tell Jeff I sent you.
    Last edited by Bruce King; 11-02-2020 at 11:59 PM.

Grizzly has tools for different price point and quality standards. I have grizzly tools also shopfox which is owned by grizzly. Also have a SawStop ICS 5 up which I really like. I would consider a slider how ever don't have half enough room for it.
    Decide what you want/need, what your budget will stand then get ordering tools.
    Main thing is to buy as good a quality as you can.
    New versus used is your call. Save money and work on machines or spend money and work wood. Find the balance that works for you.
    Good luck
    Ron

You'll get lot of opinions here. My shop has a mix of tool brands as diverse as Ridgid to Hammer as well as some "vintage" equipment. My TS is a Grizzly G1023 and I've never wished for anything different. I did upgrade the fence from a Shop Fox "Delta Wing style" to a t-square type. It is a 2000 ish model and it has always just worked. If the features and price point work for you, don't be afraid of the Grizzly brand, but if you want something missing from the Grizzly, don't be afraid to mis-match your shop. I'm also just now selling a 15" G1021 Planer that has also done its job for 20 years. It is still a great machine, but my needs have changed.