Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why are wood fillers sold in tubs with flat tops?

Why are wood fillers sold in tubs with flat tops?

Why are so many wood filler products sold in tubs that have flat tops that do not seal well? Although ineffective for storing wood filler, is there some positive aspect to this design?

Blog Entries
    I've often pondered this very question. Like every time I open a tub of filler. The key, for most of them, is to keep the rim of the tub and the groove in the lid meticulously clean. I also put just a little spray of water on top of the left over filler before sealing it up. It will last several months and beyond that way. If I remember, I'll open the lid & mix up the contents every few months, which helps.

Yes, you buy more filler if the old one dries out.

Blog Entries
    My theory is that if you need filler, you probably need a lot of it. Cletus needs plenty of room to dip his 3" putty knife in there . In reality I think Mark is more correct. I have had some success laying a film of plastic food wrap inside touching the surface of the putty.

For the amount of filler I use, TImbermate is cost effective and is the best filler I have ever used. I made the mistake of buying 2 or 3 colors along with the neutral. It's been years and I have never opened the colored ones.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

My guess so they will stack well on the shelves of the big box stores.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Like paint if you store them bottom up they will last longer.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    For the amount of filler I use, TImbermate is cost effective and is the best filler I have ever used. I made the mistake of buying 2 or 3 colors along with the neutral. It's been years and I have never opened the colored ones.
    THAT is the beauty of Timbermate. When it starts to dry out just add a few drops of warm water. It takes some patience to mix it in thoroughly but it is worth it. When I'm in a hurry, I just mix the top half inch or so and move on. Amazing stuff.

Even worse is soldering flux in the metal tins and traditional paint cans bring up the rear. I think it's Home Depot that just introduced paint in a jug like a milk jug with a screw top.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Even worse is soldering flux in the metal tins.
    Store it in a fridge.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Even worse is soldering flux in the metal tins and traditional paint cans bring up the rear. I think it's Home Depot that just introduced paint in a jug like a milk jug with a screw top.

I buy LACO flux, and it comes in plastic jars with screw tops. Buy a large container and put some of it in smaller container to keep on the truck. HD's new paint can is total plastic, except for the wire handle. The screw on spout is semi handy. First you have to remove lid to mix paint, and spout works best when can is half empty. DAMHIK

Blog Entries
    have not yet seen screw top paint at my Home Depot, but they have switched to plastic paint cans. FYI- don’t try to hammer the lid on those The same way you do the metal ones. Guess how I know. Just a quick touch-up. No drop cloth needed for that, right? All done- I’m so smart- just gotta put the lid on, and.... (remainder deleted to comply with forum rules on profanity.) The top went into the can, acting like a plunger, and the entry hall ended up getting a repaint.

2300D424-F704-492D-A9BB-4C7DE0AAA42D.jpg

I don't use a lot of solder flux so buying a bigger container is not an option. Last time I couldn't get the metal tin open (I'll try the fridge idea next time) but had a plastic screw top container so used it. Wonder why they don't package it in a tube like toothpaste? Seems like that would be very easy to use. Actually that would work for wood filler also.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    .... (remainder deleted to comply with forum rules on profanity.) The top went into the can, acting like a plunger, and the entry hall ended up getting a repaint.

2300D424-F704-492D-A9BB-4C7DE0AAA42D.jpg
    I don't know- I think you had an opportunity to bill them extra for the 'Spontaneous Art'. I liked it!

All the flux that I have used in the last decade or two comes in a plastic tub with a lid, kind of like a sour cream container but with a better lid. I stopped using NoKorode in the metal tins years ago. Do they even still sell it like that?

The Famowood solvent wood fillers are in upside-down paint can style containers, although they can still dry out too. The gad-awful smelling solvent they sell thins it right up though.

Because they kept falling over when they had crew-cuts