Thread: Any Joni Mitchell Fans?

Blog Entries

Any Joni Mitchell Fans?

Saw this posted on a friend's FaceBook page:

One day in the summer of 1963, a young woman wandered into the recording studio of a radio station in Saskatoon, the largest city in the southern prairie-land province of Saskatchewan, Canada.
    She wore her hair in a flipped bob, the vogue of the times: the Jackie Kennedy cut.
    In her hand she carried a Harmony baritone ukelele, her preferred instrument, for the earthy timbre of its nylon strings brushing against its solid mahogany body.
    She was a folk singer, playing now and again in the coffeeshops and clubs of her home city, but her name was otherwise unknown. Roberta Joan Anderson.
    She sat on a stool in the studio, positioned her fingers on the ukelele, and awaited her cue from the night-shift deejay, Barry Bowman.
    She started playing, frisking a curlicue of plaintive notes in open tuning, a habit she had devised to compensate for the weakness in her left hand, the result of a childhood bout of polio.
    Then she sang, her soprano as clear as a bell ringing to the heavens, sustained by a vibrato that shimmered like a low-burning flame.
    The song, a traditional ballad dating from the turn of the 20th Century, was a staple of the folk scene, a cautionary tale told by a vagabond, lamenting a life led astray.
    "There is a house in New Orleans," she sang, "they call the Rising Sun. It's been the ruin of many a poor girl, and me, oh God, for one."
    She sang another eight songs after that, and the deejay put the tapes away, and he carried on with his life, and she with hers, performing on the folk circuit with her husband, Chuck Mitchell, using a diminutive of her middle name: Joni.
    She would go on to become one of the most acclaimed singer-songwriters of her generation, famed as much for her dreamy, painterly lyrics as for the restless inventiveness of her music, and its seductive flirtations with form and structure.
    Barry Bowman, the deejay, meanwhile, would long regret misplacing the tapes of that debut recording session by Joni Mitchell, until the day, more than half-a-century later, that his daughter brought him a box of paraphernalia she had discovered in the basement of their old house.
    And there were the two reel-to-reels, their cartons marked: Joni Anderson Audition.
    Now their contents, recorded when the singer was only 19, stand at the centrepoint of "Joni Mitchell Archives Vol. 1: The Early Years (1963-1967)", a collection of 119 songs spanning almost six hours of studio and live material, and released today on the music-streaming platforms, on the cusp of Joni's 77th birthday next week.
    But the most haunting song of them all is the opener, House of the Rising Sun, for the glimpse it gives us of a rising talent in its genesis, and for reminding us that as much as we may think we know a singer and their songs, there is always a revelation awaiting us in the faraway mists of time.
    *You can listen to Joni Mitchell singing her first ever recorded song, House of the Rising Sun, over here: https://bit.ly/2TDGMT5.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries
    Great story- just listened to Raised on Robbery .love the sax solo!

I used to listen to her tapes when I was traveling. Along with Dylan Arlo Pete Segar and Phil Oches

Enjoyed the story and the tune Jim. Thanks Sir!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Big Joni fan, always have been. Thanks for this!
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Blog Entries
    As a Canadian, I'm a bit ashamed to admit that I'm not a huge Joni Mitchell fan I really like a few of her songs, and certainly respect her as a songwriter, but it's her delivery that doesn't appeal to me. But man, she has written some great songs.

To Frank's point ; I think it's harder to appreciate one singer and a guitar than the same singer with a band. I just now
    listened to "Both Sides Now" ...which always brings a tear on "just one side". It was an old tv clip with Cass Elliot
    seated on the floor in front of her like a kid without TV snacks.

I ordered the new 5-cd set back in September, and it arrived a day early. I’ve listened to some of it, and I can’t say it’s uninteresting (the evolution of an artist, and all that.) It’s really for completists (such as me) and people who wonder where all that stuff _came_ from. For everyone else, she didn’t really start to take off until her second album, much later than what is referred to here. Although, the set does contain some early versions of songs that would later appear on Blue etc.

Blog Entries
    Phil Oches
    "Well I'm only eighteen I've got a ruptured spleen and I always carry a purse
    Just think of my career and my sweet heart dear and my asthma's getting worse"

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Joni is one of my favorites. My kids love her music to.....The Circle Game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    Great story- just listened to Raised on Robbery .love the sax solo!
    "Sittin' on my groceries"

The greatest musical talent to come out of the '60s. A talent that has adapted and endured. I have a shelf of nothing but her albums and concert DVDs.
    Nostalgia isn't what it used to be