Thread: Powermatic turbo cone dust collector

Powermatic turbo cone dust collector

What does this turbo cone do? I bought a second 1300tx dust collector and the older one doesn't have this cone, so I didn't bother installing it on the new one. I wonder if it keeps a bunch of dust from flying all over after you empty the bag. Mine does that for some reason. It comes straight through the top bag.

Blog Entries
    Didn't bother installing it? . . . Was that an option according to the directions?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

It was a design change. I bought two identical dust collectors, only one is a few years old. The older one has run fine without it and doesn't even have holes to mount it.

Clean that's the same as saying I better pull out the drill and drill mounting holes so the old collector is compatible.

Hey Travis here is an idea. Why don't you install the cone in the collector and see what is different by trying it out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Conner View Post
    It was a design change. I bought two identical dust collectors, only one is a few years old. The older one has run fine without it and doesn't even have holes to mount it.

Ah . . . got it. I was wondering why when they added the cone to improve spoil separation that they would have an option to not use it. I better start taking naps in the afternoon ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Ah . . . got it. I was wondering why when they added the cone to improve spoil separation that they would have an option to not use it. I better start taking naps in the afternoon ;-)
    It seemed to me like it was just going to create a restriction. I'll probably put it on eventually. I just ran out of energy. lol

I installed the Jet cone in my grizzly G1029Z. I didn't perceive a loss in suction or airflow but I did notice the upper filter stays much cleaner now.

As far as I am concerned, that cone is critical. But if you enjoy cleaning out the cartridge when it fills up with dust, then leave it out. I had an old Jet that didn't have the new style cone in it. The pleats in the cartridge would often be half full of dust. I installed a Thien baffle and that took care of the dust. Do yourself a favor, put the cone in!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    As far as I am concerned, that cone is critical. But if you enjoy cleaning out the cartridge when it fills up with dust, then leave it out. I had an old Jet that didn't have the new style cone in it. The pleats in the cartridge would often be half full of dust. I installed a Thien baffle and that took care of the dust. Do yourself a favor, put the cone in!
    Mine doesn't have the canister on top it's the fabric bag. I haven't had to do anything to that top bag yet. Obviously a canister would be a pain to clean out, so I see why they made it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Conner View Post
    What does this turbo cone do? .
    https://www.woodworkersjournal.com/j...or-technology/

At one point I had a Jet Cannister and the cone worked very well. I would not even consider a bad on a dust collector due to poor performance on small particles....It is basically a chip collector.

I have Powermatic dust collector (1.75hp) with the cone installed with an Oniedia cyclone in my 300 sq ft shop. I also have a magnahelic gauge to watch the back pressure in my big added nano filer. I just cleaned it out after almost 4 years of use, when the back pressure finally started climbing. The filter was super packed with dust as you can imagine, I took it out in the driveway and used my air compressor to blow it out (at 60 psi) and couldn't believe how much dust it had collected. Many piles of dust came out. Don't know how it would have worked without the cone. Only know I emptied about 15 - 20 30 gallon canisters of sawdust over those 4 years. I'm a hobbyist so its not like I was in the shop daily. As it came with the cone, I installed it, figured they put it in there for a reason. Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)