Thread: Convert Through-hole pull to surface mount?

Convert Through-hole pull to surface mount?

I found some great hardware for my new desk, but the pulls are all through-hole mount (2 bolts, 4 inch on center). Trying to decide how best to mount them to the drop-front of my Secretary - I don't want to drill through holes because it will mess up the surface of the desk. My current plan is to drill out the threads in the pull, drill & tap a hole for a set screw on each side, and then file down a couple of flat spots on hanger bolts for the set screws. Then I can install the hangar bolts, slide the hinge on, and use the set screws to mount the hinge to the hanger bolts. A fairly involved process, but probably not too hard. Anyone have a better suggestion for how to mount the pull?

How 'bout making your own from wood? Glue them on with a butt glue joint, or with wooden dowels.

Great idea... if the surface weren't already finished I might do exactly that. Right now I'm using the classic blue painters-tape handles.

If the wooden pull goes on with wood dowels, it doesn’t matter that the surface is finished. The glue surface is inside the wood.

Hmm. Good point. Will need to think about that one. Thanks.