Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sanding disc storage

sanding disc storage

ideas on storing 2 and 3 inch discs---thanks,joe

Haven’t used one in years and no idea where to buy one but I think the storage boxes for diskettes should work for this

Quote Originally Posted by joe zarnitz View Post

this is what I use: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Stack-On...B-12/203184611

I've tried a Tanos Systainer for 90mm disks and it has worked well, so I'm considering another one for my 2" and 3" disks. The box is pricey however considering the cost of the sanding disks and pads inside, it has been worth it to me to keep things separate and organized in my compact space.

IMG_2903.jpg
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 11-01-2020 at 12:03 PM.
    Dick Mahany.

Quote Originally Posted by joe zarnitz View Post
    I use small, shallow plastic Sterilite storage boxes with lids held by clips. These are maybe 8"x10"x2" and stack nicely on an open shelf near the lathe. I use containers like these for everything from wood and metal shop supplies to Legos to small turning blanks. They come in a variety of sizes; the last time I counted I had over 150 of these in shop and house.

The containers are shallow enough that I can easily find the grit I want. I keep the various grits in small plastic bags marked with the grit. I keep 1", 2", and 3" disks in separate boxes. I admit I don't use disks often since I've found better ways to smooth than power sanding.

Back when I did power sanding with rotating disks I kept grits sorted in bins on the wall behind the lathe.

I like the way the boxes with lids keep dust away.

JKJ

This is what I use. The 2" & 3" sanding pads mounted next to the storage drawers are the "roloc" pads from Woodturners Wonders. They are mounted on an 1/8" thick hardboard with I think 1/4" holes drilled into the board so the roloc pads screw into the holes. But if you use the "hook & loop" based foam sanding pads just mount a piece of the hook and loop material to the board.

I use a separate pad for each grit as I have found nthet using just one pad and switching the sanding disc for each grit wore the hook and loop material on the pad and disc quicker to where the sanding disc wouldn't stay on the pad.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I use a set of bins/drawers like those Ricc posted above. Thought I got it at Craft Supply, but tok a quick look and didn’t find it. Its perfect - holds a good supply, easy to access. I guess the reason I can no longer find it on their website is that I got it about 15 years ago...worth searching out though. I’ve seen similar on U-Line’s website.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey J Smith View Post
    I use a set of bins/drawers like those Ricc posted above. Thought I got it at Craft Supply, but tok a quick look and didn’t find it. Its perfect - holds a good supply, easy to access. I guess the reason I can no longer find it on their website is that I got it about 15 years ago...worth searching out though. I’ve seen similar on U-Line’s website.

I got mine on amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's what I use. Don't remember where I bought them, probably a medical supply place (they are used in doctors offices all the time). I put both the 2" and 3" in the same bin (no trouble telling them apart, as well as the pad for each grit in each size.

IMG_2646.jpg

I use magnetic herb bins sold a IKEA they hold the 3 1/4 disks & 2 inch discs out of the way & organized.
    Good luck with your organization, Kevin

2BC9B5D0-AB14-4CCF-85EA-3CCEB070BFB1.jpg

I threw together a plywood box with a lift out tray. I keep the new disks grit face up, and when I use one but don't use it up, I put it back grit face down so I know it's used. Mandrels and pads in the bin on the end. Tray lifts out and the bulk storage for extra disks is below. I was going to put a lid on it, but truth is, it's almost always out and open anyway, the lid would just be a nuisance. Once in a while I accidentally leave it in the path of flying shavings and have to clean it out -- about the only time I wish I'd gone ahead with the lid.

A change I might opt for is to do something different with the bulk storage of mandrels and pads. With all the velcro in there, stuff gets stuck to other things haphazardly. It would probably be better to have a top tray with drilled holes to hold the mandrels in use, then a bottom area below for storing extras that aren't currently in use.

Dave

Capture3.JPGCapture3.jpg

First I decided how many different grits I wanted to keep on hand, lthen by trial and error found out how large a circle was needed so that the circumference was about 1/2" beyond the outer edge of each disk. I drew that circle on a piece of 2" thick pink or blue heavy duty construction styrofoam, then drew out the circles for the sanding disks themselves, perhaps 1/4" larger in diameter than the disks themselves. I cut a slot about 1 1/2" wide centered on the disk circles, and the disk circles, and secured a sheet of heavy cardboard on the bottom using double stick tape. Made one of these for 2" and one for 2 5/8"(?) sanding disks. The outer slots let me pick up a sanding disk when needed, and I keep the interface pad (I have one for each grit) on the stack of corresponding sanding disks. Everything is neat, I can find and pick up any inteface pad-and-disk, or a new disk, quickly and easily. When finished sanding, I stack the two styrofoam circles and put them out of the way. I know my description is hard to follow, but I'm not a member so I am guessing I cannot post photos.

I recently got a WTW mega sanding disc sampler pack and have discs coming out of my ears... this Plano Extra-Deep Box is working well to hold a portion of them. Each compartment can hold about 20 discs and it's deep enough to hold the 3.25" wide green ones Ken sells.

Ricc, you could have taken that photo in my shop. I don't have as large a selection outside the doors but keep about 8 on a strip of Velcro beside the drawers.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .