Thread: Garage workshop pondering

Garage workshop pondering

We're planning to move our laundry machines out of the garage and into the main house.
    This gives me an opportunity to rethink how the shop setup is laid out and being used.
    In particular, I'm looking forward to improving dust control.

Does anyone have any suggestions better than the current plan of placing a cyclone in the "open" (washer/dryer) area?
    And any suggestions on how to lay out 240V service? (I'm looking to get 2x240V circuits, to replace 240V extension cords to the dryer outlet)

Current layout:
    shop_layout_current.png

We do need LOML's car to be able to park inside most nights, and I want to be able to get in/out without banging the doors.

I move it out to get the J/P out for milling and I usually have a door slab on sawhorses as my project/assembly table during any project work days. The table saw may roll out a bit more for wider rips. Most other tools are usable in place.

Does anyone see a viable layout where I get the car on one side of the garage and all tools on the other so that I can set up a dust curtain to better contain dust? I could potentially clear some additional space by moving the gorilla racks and the household/paint cabinet out of the garage and into an outside shed. The layouts I've looked at with all tools along the long wall seemed to have infeed/outfeed issues; and I hit walkway issues if I tried to arrange a 2nd tool between a tool wall and car parking.

Some lower-priority musings include:
    • improving TS outfeed (currently using a rigid flip-top stand if needed; not sure a short-stroke slider would work in this space).
    • dedicated space for J/P (moving out the gorilla racks would leave this with modest infeed/outfeed along the wall)
    • bringing miter saw back into shop (I was thinking I could set up a miter saw station in place of the gorilla racks)

A few photos of the current setup below, with the car out and the TS slightly pulled out:
    IMG_0980.jpgIMG_4244.jpg

Thanks,
    Matt

It would be fine there, more or less. You'd want a y-shaped main run to provide service to both sides of the space and I'll suggest an overhead drop somewhere in the middle with a quick connect (Nordfab type) so that you can wheel something out there and have collection with just a simple easy to connect/disconnect hose drop from on-high.

I thinki a simple car cover plus an air cleaner will help when the situation requires you to faddle with your better half's vehicle in the shop...err...garage.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim.
    Did you see anything that looked like it could be a better location for dust collector?

For electrical distribution, is it common to put in extra 240V outlets on a circuit just in case equipment is moved later? What sort of density makes sense?

thanks,
    Matt

Here's the layout I'm thinking of (I'm tentatively thinking to get a CV1800 and building a 72x36" outer-dimension noise closet around it)
    shop_layout_candidate.png

Does anyone think this alternate (car on one side) is more promising for dust management and general usage?
    shop_layout_alt.png

Is it possible to put the Roubo and all non-power tool stuff on the shorter side of the garage with the car? The thinking being having workbench/assembly/finishing area in one "zone" of the shop and the power tools/dust collection in the other. You could also think about putting the drill press with on the workbench side as it doesn't really generate much in the way of fine dust. Just a thought.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bain View Post
    Is it possible to put the Roubo and all non-power tool stuff on the shorter side of the garage with the car?
    this is an interesting idea -- how would you envision arranging the tablesaw + J/P + bandsaw in the resulting space?

If you could fit the new dust collector in the corner where your paint cabinet is, then your ducting would all be on one wall, with one branch out to middle like Jim said.

May have to adjust some of the other tools a little and may not have room for the enclosure you mention

One of the advantages of the proposed location is that it doesn't interfere with what you have now including parking the vehicle and it lends itself to the routing of the main(s) that I mentioned. it also puts the unit where it's easy to empty the bin. BTW, I encourage you to build the enclosure and sound insulate it. Be sure that the air return to the shop/garage is not a direct path; otherwise, you'll be defeating some level of the sound mitigation.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 11-01-2020 at 3:00 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...