Thread: Some plumbing help? (bathtub diverter valve)

Some plumbing help? (bathtub diverter valve)

The diverter valve on DW's bathtub that feeds a handheld shower head has died. Pulling the handle off, the valve stem spins in place, in either direction, as long as you care to turn it. It appears that there is a retaining nut with an internal hex drive that one would remove to pull out and inspect the valve stem. I suspect something in there that actually switches the water from one place to the other is disconnected or broken.

Question is, how do you remove that nut? A big allen wrench would be perfect, but there's a valve stem in the way. One of those tube hex wrenches for shower valves should work, but I have found no source for one that is small enough. I've googled plumbing supply sites until my googler is sore. Of course the request to fix it came after the real plumbing places closed for the day. I have the feeling that I'm missing something obvious.

If we hadn't recently paid a lot of money for that valve I'd just put a pipe wrench in the outside of it, but I don't think the resulting dings will meet with approval.

IMG_2635.jpg IMG_2634.jpeg

There is a plumbing socket set that's just made from stamped sheet metal, so the outside is also hex shaped. Measure across from flat to flat, and I might have something that will work. I don't mind sending it to you, if I can find it. I haven't used those things in a couple of decades.

Maybe wrap the outside with several layers of duct tape or a piece of an old inner tube, pond liner etc then use a pipe wrench.

The sockets Tom referred to are called valve stem sockets. Here's an example:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Eastman-...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

For smaller normal size allen wrenches they are called security wrenches. Is it possible that just the valve has to come out. It looks like a pin drive setup to remove that. Regardless,. once that trim collar is off you will need to buy or make a pin wrench. If you are lucky one from an angle grinder wil lfit. They make adjustable ones or make your own with two setscrews and a bar of metal.
    Bil lD.

On edit; metric or English? Jado was sold by Amercian Standard so maybe they can help.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 10-31-2020 at 10:05 PM.

The hex is probably 5/8", though it's closer to 17 mm. I expected that shower socket wrenches like these:
    IMG_2636.jpeg

would do the trick, but I haven't been able to find one small enough, either at plumbing places or general suppliers like McMaster or Grainger. It may just be that I don't know a correct name for them.

Thanks for the hint about the pin wrench-- I can see that now, those holes are really tiny. It's hard to imagine pins strong enough to loosen most plumbing fixtures that are that small. Once again the pins will need to straddle the valve stem and reach down into the valve body. Not a Home Depot tool for sure.

Much more effort on this and I'll need to call my plumber, he'll have a good laugh at my expense as he knows my DIY penchant.

I would buy or make a piece of steel hex stock long enough to stick out at last 2 inches and be fully inserted. Then drill out the center hole as needed use a pipe or crescent wrench on it. Pin wrench holes are often 1/4". use a drill bit to measure the hole size. You may have to find a deep socket that straddles the stem then grind it so it has two pins left on the end. Or tig weld two pins onto a socket or piece of pipe.
    Are you sure the maker did not include wrench?
    Bil lD.

Something looks odd about that hex. Maybe just the lighting but it looks like there is more missing at the bottom so a single lug wrench may fit. There may be a corresponding lug recess on the top? Sort of like a bayonet fitting? There should not be much torque needed for a trim piece like that. Finger tight is good enough. Soap scum will hold it in place.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    The hex is probably 5/8", though it's closer to 17 mm.
    Surely one of these should work, right?:

https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Ended-Wr...4248396&sr=8-2

That kit covers all the bases.

Go to the hardware store and get a rod coupling with a 5/8 hex on it? It will already have the threaded for the rod and you may have to drill it out. Or possibly even a hex nut with 5/8" hex may get you enough purchase if its not too tight

Yes! I hate Amazon's search function. It found all kinds of things unrelated to what I was looking for, but not these.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    Surely one of these should work, right?:

https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Ended-Wr...4248396&sr=8-2

That kit covers all the bases.

Jado was a brand owned by American Standard that was apparently discontinued in 2013. Some websites state that parts are no longer made.

I would suggest searching for how to take a diverter valve out of American Standard faucet to see if they are made the same.

Mark beat me to the punch but the nut idea is something that would be easy to do and should work.