Thread: Wood tumbling

Wood tumbling

Hello,
    Newbie here. Wanted to posit a question for any suggestions, referrals, or design ideas for the following desire: I collect beach driftwood and the like for a variety of home projects. I recently got into burls, knots and 'character' natural wood pieces - no more that 24" in length, and mostly smaller like hand size. This latter interest reveals very sharp edges to many of the pieces, and I would like to ask if any of the Members know of an artificial way (like a tumbler, was my thought) to soften the broken edges of the wood pieces. Cutting them and trying to sand is tedious and too focally changes the appearance and character of the wood. Looking for a more random application (like the shift of the ocean tides) to render the pieces "edge softened".

Thanks for any replies or recommendations.

David

Blog Entries
    Glass beading or a flap sander might work.

If I were going to do a lot of this kind of work I would buy an appropriate sized bead blast cabinet. There are several types of media that would give you the texture and look you are seeking, such as previously mentioned glass, sand, aluminum oxide, soda etc. Altering the pressure will change the results also.
    A common wire wheel in a hand drill or bench grinder could work too.

Thanks, Lee and John. Have those at my disposal, at the former in a moderate sense, but the hand held for sure. Trying to find the "shotgun" approach, like rock polishing, but the commitments get to be a bit more demanding as the size goes up, eh? Really appreciate the replies.

David

If you have a large enough lathe..... Make wood ends for a 5 gal bucket that would hold the bucket securely and also attach to the lathe via a large faceplate and tailstock to keep it tight. add material and some pebbles, rotation at slow speed should get you what you want.