Thread: Delta Rockwell Bandsaw

Delta Rockwell Bandsaw

$600 for this a good deal? She’s a looker from the weak CL pictures. Guy says it’s a single owner who took care of it. He’s selling it for him.
    'https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/tls/d/apache-junction-delta-rockwell/7189222559.html'
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 10-31-2020 at 6:24 AM. Reason: removed direct link

Looks to be in great condition. $600 is pretty sure though. I’d go $350 tops, assuming it is indeed in great condition and needs nothing and comes with extra blades. It doesn’t appear to have a fence btw.

I think it looks great as well. Only you can decide how much you are willing to pay.

That is a good bandsaw in general, and in top condition is better than the current versions of that style. Price depends on your local market. Around here good used machines are few and far between, and tend to command fairly high prices. Out in the Northeast and in the rust belt there must be some kind off used tool nirvana, because those folks are always going on about how they pick up all these great used tools for great deals.

My main concern with that particular saw is that, based on the logo style, it is probably around 60 years old. It appears to have been either repainted or vey well cleaned up. I'f be interested as to whether someone had restored/rehabbed it (and if they knew what they were doing).

Again, it is a good design, but I would be concerned about the age and amount of wear on the machine. The antique motor doesn't do much for me either. If it was in pristine condition and functionality, I wouldn't mind picking one up like that for around $500 (based on the fact that something like that almost never appears locally), but again for that age it would have to be in really good condition. I'd me more inclined to pick up one from the Pentair era given the option though.

I have that bandsaw in the Atlas version. It appears to have many of the same parts (table, blade tensioning assembly, etc). Mine a great little saw for cutting arcs, circles and such. I doubt it would be able to tension any type of resaw blade. In my case, I don't resaw, so that's a non-issue. Like others have said, way better than much of what is available in that size saw today. I'm not sure of pricing in your area, but in my corner of PA it probably should go for around $500, maybe slightly less.

I have that saw as well and my dad bought it new between 50 and 60 years ago. I am pretty sure he paid $600. Maybe the seller has the original receipt and that is where the price came from!

Looks great and worth 600 clams are two different things entirely. It's certainly been repainted.

Andrew is spot on about whether it's been totally overhauled , and a good job done - or is it just a paint job and good photo piquing your desire.

For the same money you can have a new Rikon. But it ain't an ol' classic and you can't go get it today.

Over the yrs I have rebuilt few of those saws that need some TLC when I purchase them at good price. Even after all that work I could never come close to that figure. Looking at his while very nice and lot of work put into it, 600 is a hard sale to me. The belt guard is stamp metal while earlier models had the cast metal belt guards,more value. Todays market that saw would cost more money, and have China or something else on it. So being USA made that adds value to machine and being rebuilt to what degree adds value but maybe 500.00 would be good but little less would be better. Good saw,parts and even upgrades are still available. Good luck let us know

The belt guard was either bought as an option or added later. Most older delta tools didn't come with a belt guard, but could be purchased as an option. The belt guard alone to buy used would be $100-150 depending on condition. I would throw out a $500 offer after first going and looking the machine over. Open the belt guard and rotate the belt (listen for bearing noises), play with the tensioner and see if it's smooth. Short of those things just check for hidden rust and the that wheels roll smoothly (indications of bad bearing if they don't). Nice looking saw and I would like it in my shop.

Thx everyone for the input. I offered him $500 last night and he said yes. I’m going to look at it tonight and possibly pick it up. I’ll check it out like you all mentioned before a final price. My one concern was a fence. He has another band saw on CL and some other Mid grade tools. He sent me a clear image of the motor. I was expecting to see a date on there but no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Dailey View Post
    Thx everyone for the input. I offered him $500 last night and he said yes. I’m going to look at it tonight and possibly pick it up. I’ll check it out like you all mentioned before a final price. My one concern was a fence. He has another band saw on CL and some other Mid grade tools. He sent me a clear image of the motor. I was expecting to see a date on there but no luck.
    I did pick it up. I thought it was a fair deal. I am curious if this saw is from the 40s or 80s. Here's the SN. I was on The Delta Vintage Project Part 1 website already but can't seem to find something that fits this one.

Picture below:

Reads as Serail No. CG7161
    Rockwell Manufacturing Co.
    Power Tool Division
    Pittsburgh 8, Pennsylvania
    U.S. of A.

With a Rockwell lowercase R logo on the right.

Rockwell SN Tag.jpg

Congratulations on your purchase, having a piece of history and made in USA. I had a Kreg fence on saw I had and it was great. Last a life time, now buy couple good quality bs blades your good to go.
    Last edited by Carroll Courtney; 11-01-2020 at 6:31 AM.

I've rebuilt a bunch of those and they are bullet proof. Bearings if you need them are a couple hours work and not technical. I think $500 is a very fair price for a plug 'n play vintage machine. Enjoy it and don't look back.
    Jay

PS. Oh, and that antique motor? Probably worth over $100 because it's got the shaft cover on it. If that needs bearings some day it's not complex either.