Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want to see some really interesting carpentry?

Want to see some really interesting carpentry?

I'm having this done to my left hip in two weeks. Had the right done two years ago. Can't wait.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be

Best of luck. Technology has come a long way. I get to shadow the ortho team sometimes. It's amazing stuff.
    To think you'll be walking again the very next day is crazy.
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Vinyl Plotter Graphtec CE600-60
    Software used
    Inkscape, FlexiStarter, VinylMaster 4, RDWorksV8

My Mother got a new knee at 92, and a new hip at 98. She's doing fine with them at 104 now. This is one thing they really have down good now.

Oh, man... only lasted 30 seconds.
    My son was born breech. I fainted when the doctor said, “Looks like we’re going to have to do an episiotomy.

It will be days before I can get a good night’s sleep.

Good luck! I heard they make a dramatic difference in quality of life.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

I believe they use a standard #2 Morse taper to hold it in. But they use glue not just friction. They will have you up and walking by the afternoon. Everyone I know who had a hip or knee replaced said they wished they had had it done years earlier.
    My BIL had a knee replaced went to physical therapy one time to find out what the exercises are. Rather then co-pays every other day he bought a exercise bike, for less money, and did the stuff at home. The key is to do the exercises and keep doing them for months or you muscles will freeze up and the joint will not move.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Velasquez View Post
    My son was born breech. I fainted when the doctor said, “Looks like we’re going to have to do an episiotomy.

Being in the room when my son was born was an experience. It was a once in a lifetime experience as in once was okay, but never again.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Velasquez View Post

my daughter was born by c-section. They asked me if I wanted to look and I declined. The two nurses detailed to catch me if I fainted were relieved.

When they made the first incision, the cut through a latex drape that was held to the skin by temporary adhesive. The surgeon that did my knee replacement told me he invented that. I checked it out at the time and found the patent. It was called the Bohn drape. He said he looked at a Post-it note one day and thought, “hmmmm...”. He’s a nice guy. In my experience, some surgeons can be pretty weird. Other than being a total Star Wars fanatic, he was very down to earth.

Had both knees replaced Jan 15, when I went back for 6 month check he said come back when you want your hips replaced. Claims that it a a lot easier and faster recovery.
    Good luck
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    my daughter was born by c-section. They asked me if I wanted to look and I declined.
    Same here. I watched the doctor make the first incision and instinctively knew to turn away and don't look back.

But back to hips- my doctor told me Orthos are referred to as 'the carpenters' by the other doctors.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    Had both knees replaced Jan 15, when I went back for 6 month check he said come back when you want your hips replaced. Claims that it a a lot easier and faster recovery.
    Good luck
    Ron

Had bi lateral knee replacement in 2013. Only way to go if both have to be done. Friend who is 82 had knee replacement and three weeks later was walking on her own. No walker, or cane.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    But back to hips- my doctor told me Orthos are referred to as 'the carpenters' by the other doctors.
    I believe it...
    The cases I've seen the Ortho doc can sometimes take full swings with a stainless steel hammer. The video above is mild. Normally there are times where it's pretty wild. That table they are looks like something from a medieval torture chamber. those cranks on the end are used to pull you hip right out of the socket.
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Vinyl Plotter Graphtec CE600-60
    Software used
    Inkscape, FlexiStarter, VinylMaster 4, RDWorksV8

Certainly follow your printed discharge instructions, but weight bearing exercises like walking to the bathroom are going to stimulate bone growth so the new hardware gets cemented in good by new bone. I think of ortho as the guys still seated on their Harley Davidsons when the elevator opens on the fourth floor of the hospital - except most othopedists don't ride motorcycles. It takes a special person for sure. Good luck and best wishes.

My wife had both hips replaced about 2 years ago. She went from barely able to walk to moving like she did 20 years ago. She had constant hip pain before, and has none now. She's so glad she did them.

I will be due for a knee replacement somewhere down the line, but am putting it off as long as I can. I've been told the replacements only last about 20 years, so if I do it now I'll have to do it again at age 70 or so. I'd rather not do it twice if I can help it.

Blog Entries
    My mom worked as a nurse overseeing installs for Stryker equipment (they make joints, etc).

Unfortunately, some doctors use cheap hardware to make a bigger margin. Be sure to check out brands or ask your doctor what brand of hardware they are using. It does seem to make a difference.