Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: I'm confused...

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Hutchings View Post
    Really, anyone that can't immediately see there's a right and a wrong way to buff a chisel, probably should stay away from all power tools.

Living in a society where two grown men cut their fingers off trying to lift a lawnmower up to use it as a hedge trimmer and kids are eating tide pods I honestly don't think there is ever enough mention about proper safety in any venue or place.

As far as the OP I have not used A2 so I do not know myself but have heard what others are saying that they had to get past the brittle tempered part of the irons before they stopped having similar issues. As far as the Stanley vs. LN plane goes that is matter of preference in my opinion I have two Stanley planes and one old Dunlop I turned into a scrub plane that total cost for the lot ws less than one new LN plane and I get fantastic and efficient results from them. I am a frugal person so for me I cannot see spending more money for something that will not give me any better results than what I currently have at a fraction of the cost. Again that is my opinion and a matter of personal preference that is left without judgment either way every person has to make their own decisions for what they feel is best for them.

Winston
    Thanks for the picture. I have never used a buffing wheel but doubt that I would have tried it the wrong way just because. Still, it's good to see the 1000 word warning. That I'll remember.

Another vote for leaving the existing iron in vintage planes. I've got great performance from most of my original irons even compared to my few veritas planes. I haven't felt any need to switch to a hock iron.