Thread: Plane questions

Plane questions

I got a Fulton jack plane recently and put a light camber on the blade but the mouth of the plane keeps jammed with shavings unless it is set really fine and I wanted it for heavy stock removal so that’s not really ideal

Try moving the frog back.

Ok thanks for the suggestion

I would start by moving the frog back, and if that doesn't help make sure the chip breaker is making good contact with the iron. If the chipbreaker has a gap in it it will clog up with shavings.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Buresh View Post
    I would start by moving the frog back, and if that doesn't help make sure the chip breaker is making good contact with the iron. If the chipbreaker has a gap in it it will clog up with shavings.
    It probably goes without saying, but I would add that it’s specifically the leading edge of the chip breaker (closest to the cutting edge) that needs to make good contact with the iron. I have a Stanley #3 that came into my possession with the cap iron contact area flat, but at the wrong angle so that the leading edge opened up when the cap iron screw was tightened. It took only a couple minutes of work to correct it.

Blog Entries
    Jason, The first step is to identify why the shavings jam.

An old post of mine might help if you were a contributor > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?114373 < Non contributors can not see the pictures. ($6 a year is worth it)

Here is an image of a blade & chip breaker assembly in need of work:

#3 Chip Breaker.jpg (This is posted not only in hope of you becoming a contributor but for others with a similar problem)

An errant chip breaker will jam shavings whether light or heavy. If it is the chip breaker it will be obvious when the blade and breaker are removed from the plane.

The post linked above has images and text on how to rehabilitate a chip breaker, set a frog and more.

If the shavings are getting caught in the mouth due to the mouth being too tight with the frog set back to where the back of the mouth is inline with the face of the frog it shouldn't be set back any further. This is where some light filing might need to be done to the mouth.

Good luck with the trouble shooting and getting your plane to work for you.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 01-10-2021 at 11:37 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    If all else fails, widen the slot with a file. If you do, go slowly until you get what you want.

Blog Entries
    Another tip on widening the mouth opening, bevel it so the plane of the frog and the front of the mouth are a vee. > \ / < This will help to direct the shaving out and avoid jamming.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)