Thread: Campaign flyers

Campaign flyers

This is not really off topic, but I thought I would post it here.

I have a stack of campaign posters almost 2" thick, and have found a great use for them.

Shims. They come in several different thicknesses of really nice hard cardboard, and I seem to use a lot of shims in various places. My favorite use is for spacing drawer guides, when they are just a bit too loose to the drawer. I also use them when lining up tools if they are just a bit off of level, etc.

Just thinkin'
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post

I have a stack of campaign posters almost 2" thick, and have found a great use for them.

Shims. They come in several different thicknesses of really nice hard cardboard, and I seem to use a lot of shims in various places. My favorite use is for spacing drawer guides, when they are just a bit too loose to the drawer. I also use them when lining up tools if they are just a bit off of level, etc.

Just thinkin'
    And if they are a candidate you don't like perhaps you could make a dart board.

Another source of useful poster thickness paper is a bank that gives out calendars, printed on one side only. Our local credit union has two sizes, 9x11 and larger (18x24?) I wait until March or so and go ask for leftovers. Not only good for shims or such but for layout and patterns since they are white on one side. Good for kids to draw and color on as well. So far I've picked up several 100.

These are not water resistant like campaign and real estate signs meant to weather the elements.

JKJ

When the house in front of ours burned I was in high school. The landlord let us pull the kitchen cabinets (for our shop) and beech floors. They had used campaign posters for shims under the flooring from 1920. He took the newish water heater and the appliances.
    Bill D.

Some of the signs that folks like me have out front are made on coroplast board which can be reused for a lot of good things rather than heading to the trash or recycling. They can even be used for .... signs. Just repaint them.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post

Just thinkin'

Make great dado shims, spacer for setting magneto on small engine, and shimming fence on router table, or table saw. I use them to "throw" the hinges on doors. Keep some, scissors, and a hole punch in my "door bag."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Some of the signs that folks like me have out front are made on coroplast board which can be reused for a lot of good things rather than heading to the trash or recycling. They can even be used for .... signs. Just repaint them.
    That's good stuff. Someone gave me a big pile of signs made from that, printed on both sides. I didn't think of painting them white for resuse! I've been buying blank white sheets from the local sign company. (When I have a class here I put up signs with arrows to get to the shop and parking to keep people from getting lost on the property. )

The last time I got 5-frame nucs from the beekeeper guy they were made from corrugated plastic, cleverly cut and folded. At one time they were heavy things made from OSB, put together with staples.

JKJ

John, the extra bonus with reusing the coroplast political signs is the metal stands that are already with them if you need to place whatever they become outside somewhere. Some good primer to cover the (generally darker) printed message gives you a blank slate. Paint or vinyl repurposes them as needed.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...