Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Those of you with flip top tool stands...

Those of you with flip top tool stands...

I have a question, maybe a dumb one but we'll see for those of you who have a flip top tool stand.

Have you ever tried to use one unbalanced? What I mean is, have you ever set up a flip top tool stand with only one tool? In that way you'd have a clear benchtop on one side, with the tool on the other. The clear side could be used for assembly, or maybe as a TS outfeed, or maybe just allow it to roll under a counter when not used. Then when you needed the flipped tool, just swing it up.

The concern I have is that the out-of-balance top (lots of weight on one side, none on the other) would be be hard to use, awkward, or even dangerous when the weight start swinging down.

I have recently bought a DeWalt 735 planer, and it's pretty heavy, so just manually hoisting it up onto a benchtop when I need to use it is going to get old reallll fast. And my basement shop, at 11x23 is pretty cramped, so I'm trying to think of the best way to store it.

I can imagine the pain of a squished or broken finger if that (nearly) 100lbs of weight would slam down on me when pivoting an unbalanced flip top.

But maybe I'm just worrying over nothing, or maybe someone has come up with a really innovative solution.

Hence my post.
    ...art

ps: I guess another way of looking at this would be what is the most interesting way you've found of storing moderately heavy yet infrequently used tools.

I wouldn't recommend that planer on a one-sided flip stand. I have the 735 with a stationary sanding station of the other side. Works very well. but if that sanding station weren't there, I doubt I could "easily" flip it over.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

I am thinking that a creative counterweight is a good idea until you have another tool for the flip-side...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I don't think it would be a problem even for a woman, much less a grown man. The flipping would be an occassional thing, not something you would do several times a day.

The flip-top stand is essentially a lever and fulcrum. If it is too heavy for you then think about extending the lever...possibly a pull-out handle to make it easier raising/lowering. I'm thinking about a pipe shaped like a lawnmower handle that slides in and out as needed. In fact, a cut off lawnmower handle might be just the thing.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Blog Entries
    My planer is what drove me to the flip-top stand. One of the recent mags (Workbench?) had a garage plan with a single sided flip top for just the function you are proposing. I had originally planned on a 90lb sack of cement on a bottom shelf for stability but found it unneccessary once my miter saw was mounted to the flip side. I agree with Jim; mount a machinists vise or a plate from that weight-set you always meant to get around to using or some other ballast. The down side to that is you lose that ability to slid it under the bench to save floor space . . . . back to the $3 sack of cement on the bottom(?).
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have a DW735 on a single sided flip top cart. I haven't had any problems, easier than slinging it around. The weight of the planer helps keep the cart stable when I'm using it for other uses as well.

I have the 735 also.

Craig,
    Could you post a photo of your cart/cabinet? I have a small hobby shop and I am trying to make it useful to the max. It is presently on a home made stand with infeed and outfeed wings (would post a pic if I could ever figure out how to).
    Thanks,
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hanger
    Could you post a photo of your cart/cabinet? I have a small hobby shop and I am trying to make it useful to the max. It is presently on a home made stand with infeed and outfeed wings (would post a pic if I could ever figure out how to).
    Craig, I echo what Chuck wrote. I'd like to see a photo of your stand, especially what you used for the spinning and locking mechanism.

Chuck, If you take a look at the support forum, there are two pinned threads at the top that deal with picture resizing and posting.
    But in brief, I find that if I scale my pictures to about 800x600 pixels, and save at about 85% quality/compression when saving, then they are usually under the size limit for SMC, and yet still plenty big. Then I just upload them using the "manage attachments" button down below.

Art,
    My Delta planer was on my flip top alone for a while and it wasn't an issue flipping it. Now if you let go, it could swing pretty good! Having it on the flip top is much easier than hefting it around as mentioned, but your concern is a valid one. I never ran into any problems.

Wes

Here are pictures of one that I made.

Some important considerations are:
    1. Use double lock casters so that it will not move.
    2. Provide a lock for the top.
    3. Make the height slightly less than the table saw height so that you can use it as an outfeed table.
    4. Add the adjustable roller (a rolling pin that I bought at the supermarket) if you need one for your bandsaw.

See this thread. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=19921
    Tipp City, Ohio

Art, my DW735 is mounted in a Wood magazine style fliptop cabinet. It's not a problem to swing the planer into position. The free surface area is great for stacking parts near the table saw and jointer. Doubles as an EZ Smart table support surface as well.

I remember following the magazines directions pretty closely, though the hardwood frame with plywood insets seems needlessly complicated for a box. I messed up the top and had to glue some hardwood strips to the side. To attach the steel flip rod, two grooves were routed into the plywood sheets before they were screwed and glued together.

I didn't like the magazines locking mechanism, but mine didn't turn out any better, so you are on your own there. And I used a spare mobile tool stand which was about a cheap as buying good quality casters.

Thanks Art,
    I have read that they have to be under 107 and have always resized to be under that. Will try your suggestion.
    Thanks,
    Chuck

Flip-top stands

I built a flip-top stand for my Dewalt planer, Delta 1" belt/8" disc sander. When I mounted the planer I sat it on a length of dowel at the center of the tool stand top, with the planer centered on tne dowel. I moved the planer around until I found the center of balance and marked the mounting hole locations on the top of the stand. Having the tools mounted at the balance point makes it much easier to flip the top without getting a hernia. I did the same with the tools mounted on the other side, but it works whether you use one side or both sides of the top . Hope this helps.
    Let me know how it all works out.
    Peter Leyden

FWIW, there's a flip top stand with a planer in this months workbench...

Article, cut list, etc online:

http://www.workbenchmagazine.com/mai...omeshop01.html

edit: whoops, didn't see it was already mentioned.
    Last edited by Mike Ruane; 10-26-2006 at 1:26 PM.

Blog Entries
    Here's a thread with the one I built for a DW734 and a CMS; one sheet of 3/4" BB ply with wood to spare:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=36934
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler