Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

2 Nov 2020

Greetings,
    The healing after the yellow jacket attack continues. I'm just glad that the worst of it is over. My work in the shop has been limited due to the restricted use of my right arm to aid in the healing process of my arm. The day job continues to be challenging with the new boss and I'm just taking it one day at a time. Work continues on the dining table benches and I'm hoping to make good progress on them this week. I'd like to get this done and delivered soon.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Sad you're still dealing with the aftermath of those "flying devils" as well as the new boss. Sheesh!

I spent a bit of time in the shop this past week working on a chair learning project and a prototype for a small, round side table that will accompany the chairs in our home. I also cut a small CNC job for a client that will have to be recut because of a, um...human error...that resulted in the material moving while machining the back side. That was doubly sad because it was a really beautiful piece of black walnut. The replacement will be an equally beautiful piece of cherry, however.

Took the "weekend" off from the shop due to a funky mood, but did watch a lot of enlightening videos on the 'Tube that may benefit future projects.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Dennis -- So sorry you're still dealing with the tribulations of both your employment and the bees.

Jim -- Sounds like you have several projects going. I get how that helped you make the oops on the CNC.

I had both Saturday and Sunday morning to spend in the workshop. Mostly spent the time de-constructing my current DC piping and getting a new layout figured out so I can order the parts I need. Also started running the conduit to pull a dedicated 220 circuit for the new A3-31. Seems like I've been working toward the arrival of that machine for months now, but it required a major shop rearranging as well as some changes to benches, cabinets etc.

That's it for me...
    Last edited by Lisa Starr; 11-02-2020 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Typo correction

Finally got my cherry shelf for the mud room finished and hung this weekend. Kind of a spur of the moment project that I just drew up and made. The inspiration was a project I saw on the Krenov School website by a lady named Sarah McCormick. Unfortunately the pictures make the shelf look small for the space but it does fit it really well.

Entry Shelf Mounted head on.jpg Entry Shelf mounted open drawers.jpg Entry Shelf Mounted Right.jpg

Gald to hear you're healing Dennis; sad to hear about the new boss. Hang in there.

I finally got tired of looking for scraps to use as winding sticks so I finally made some. QSWO with purple heart and some white plastic I found hanging around the shop.
    20201101_134540.jpg 20201101_134623.jpg

Continued the pre-finishing of the final parts for the 2 Morris chairs. Have I ever mentioned how much I hate finishing..........

And found one more use for the moxon: holding the long rails for some slab flattening coming up.
    20201030_152242.jpg
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Hang in there Dennis!

Attempt no. 2 on the laminate for the office counters was much more successful; using a fresh can of contact adhesive did the trick. Won't make that mistake again. Anyway, applied the laminate, trimmed it, routed a simple chamfer on the solid wood edging, finished the edging, and installed the tops. Boss is happy so I'm happy. I finished up one of the table saw sleds I'm working on, still need to finish a smaller sled for dadoes. Finally got around to installing a Magnehelic DP gauge on my Dust collector; bought it a while ago just didn't get to it.

My buddy came by to pick up a load of firewood, and expressed interest in taking all the small hardwood drops and scrap from the workshop as well. That motivated me to spend a day cleaning the shop and gathering up quite a pile of cutoffs for him to take on his next trip.

I finished the sketchup model of my desk design and am pretty happy with it. I need to do some exploded drawings and generate a cut list. I've decided to build the desks before doing the cabinet doors and drawer fronts for the built-ins. The cabinets are completely functional and it would be really nice to have desks instead of the tables the wife and I are working on now. I have a few details I want to mock up before jumping in full speed, so I'll pick up some poplar to do that.

We had our first light snow of the year, so I put the winter tires on my wife's car and changed the oil while I was at it. Swapping the tires is easy. Getting them out from all the "stuff" that got piled on them took longer. Got a little surprise while doing dishes one night. Pulled the sprayer out of the faucet only to have water shooting everywhere from holes in the flex hose. I just happened to have a replacement in "stock" so that was not a bad repair except for crawling around under the sink. Knowing the cold snap was coming, I spent the one nice day we had last week putting the hoses away and winterizing the irrigation pump. Still have more outside chores to do when weather permits. That's it for me.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

You are going in the right direction Dennis, keep healing! Jim, there must be negative ions in the air, after a good day of woodworking yesterday, I crashed last night and just felt down...this AM I think I recovered. Lisa, I, too look forward to your A3-31. I wrestle with adding a jointer, I know it will speed things along in my milling. I have a Dewalt planer and use a sled for face jointing. My LN 7 is my edge jointer. It can be a bit slow. But I get my exercise. Tony, nice practical project with the shelf in the mudroom. And the mud and snow in Maine is just starting! Bill, nice winding sticks. It's always good to anchor yourself in the basics... if you get lazy bow, cup or twist can derail you later in your project. Congrats on the successful lamination Paul! How is that neck after working under the sink? I did another bent lamination glue up, a bit easier, and threw together a firewood rack - winter is coming.glue up.jpg