Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small sharpening stone recommendation

Small sharpening stone recommendation

I am in need of a small sharpening stone to sharpen this spokeshave (so mad LV doesn't sell it any more)

MUJINGFANG TAIWAN STYLE SHUNGEE ROSEWOOD SPOKESHAVE

This has a removable blade with tangs that prevent it from being placed in jigs. It's also so small (about 2") it doesn't fit on the face of a standard bench stone.

An easier to handle pocket stone could also be good for taking to my drawknife - which I also have trouble sharpening.

Spyderco? Diamond?

I am partial to Shaptons, but it doesn't look like they make anything smaller.

Blog Entries
    Are the tangs such that it would prevent it from fitting in something like a Kell? For taking the stone to the tool, I have some DMT Dia-Fold Flat Files but, something like the Double-sided might me better for your draw knife.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

thx, Glen.
    Yes hard to describe. mujingFANG is an apt name. They're like 2 fangs that project out from the side.

Many Arkansas stones come in 2" wide sizes

Blog Entries
    Prashun, You may want to look in to "pocket stones" > https://www.danswhetstone.com/product/pocket-stones/

My other suggestion would be "slip stones" often used on molding plane blades and carving gouges.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Prashun, a few weeks ago you may recall pics I sent to you showing how I sharpen my drawknives with a small block of wood, some oil, and 2” squares of sandpaper. I touch up my drawknives periodically starting at 600, then 1200 and 2000. Takes a couple minutes per knife. I know that doesn’t achieve the micro edge a lot of guys like, but my drawknives cut like a hot knife through butter on seasoned white oak, and that is good enough for me. I would think the same method would work on your spokeshave blade.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    thx, Glen.
    Yes hard to describe. mujingFANG is an apt name. They're like 2 fangs that project out from the side.
    Aren't you one of the "picture would help" guys?

For small stones the Spyderco Double Stuff (1" x 5" Fine / Med) is nice for honing. I don't think it is coarse enough for any serious reshaping or repair.

The Fallkniven has a series of double sided stones of about that size. The diamond side, on mine, seems a little coarser than the description to me and would take on more serious shaping. (Note user "Stewie" disputes the diamond side being that coarse. We have different stones, but with the same description of the diamond side. Either there is some variation of the diamond's coarseness or he is much lighter with his touch than I am.) They also have variations, e.g. a ceramic / ceramic combo.

The diamond paddles seem as if they'd be nice, but I've never used them.

Ben Orford, Craft Lab Knives, showed how he makes the hones they sell in a quick Instagram video several months ago. I bet a fuller video is on their YouTube channel, but you could reverse engineer them from their website photos I bet. They are designed to be used in the field, so compact, sturdy, and efficient.

Some thoughts on options. Good luck.

Turn the bench stone on its side.

Yes, John, I think you may be right. I don't know why I am resistant to using sandpaper to sharpen, but it's just prejudice. You're right I'll be able to make a custom block for any size.

Here's the only pic I could find. The blade is on the back side and you can see the (mujing) fangs poking through to the front at each end.

mujingfang.jpg

Though it doesn’t sound like you need to do any “reshaping”, I will add that I have renovated several drawknives and while the initial bevel I established on the grinder with a jig, it is amazing how much metal can be removed with 80 grit sandpaper. Then, it is just progressing up thru the grits to get a very nice edge at 2000. But, for dressing an existing edge the sandpaper method is quick and works very well. I would add that it is also inexpensive and the “mess” gets thrown in the trash. Neither do I need to level the sandpaper!😊

I know I am talking sacrilege in the Neander forum, but I am more interested in getting a quick and workable edge so I can get back to the task at hand. Admittedly, I am working on chairs and leaving the facets of the spokeshave. On my Boggs shaves, I also use sandpaper on a scary sharp board I have used for over a decade. My final strop is on a piece of MDF with green compound on it. The edges are very sharp and polished.

Left click my name for homepage link.

I think he's talking about irons of the style shown at the bottom of this picture.

Paul Sellers has video on sharpening that type of blade that may be worth taking a look at. I have a set of boxwood D. Flather & Sons spokeshaves that have that same type of blade with the tangs.

Yes!!! Exactly

https://www.amazon.com/EZE-LAP-PAK5-...4143931&sr=8-3

I bought a set of these 20 years ago for kitchen knives.
    They still cut well.

Turn your stones on edge, and sharpen it with the tangs hanging over the sides. I use the sides of my stones all the time for such things, including router plane blades.