Thread: Motor Question

Motor Question

I have a Meber 600 which is a 24" Italian bandsaw. It's got a 2.2kw 3ph motor on it that runs the machine just fine. I've resawed 12" oak and maple with no problems. I'm contemplating a single phase motor but my question is about how small this motor is for being almost 3hp. You can see from the two pictures that the Baldor, also 3hp, is way bigger than the OEM motor. How can that tiny motor on the saw be 3hp? There's no shortage of power, but it seems odd. I should be able to fit a single phase motor the size of the Baldor in there and maybe it'll run even better!

Jay
    Baldor Motor.jpgMeber600 Motor.jpg

I have basically the same saw - a Centauro 600. Why would you change the motor in the first place?

The 3 phase produces more power per size than a single phase as you already see.
    It also costs less to run until you factor in repairs. Don’t change it out unless you want to sell and the buyer wants the single phase one.

If you're going to a single phase shop, get a VFD to drive the original motor. That should be less expensive than a new single phase motor.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

It looks like the Baldor is unvented and has no cooling fan of any kind. It also has to make room for a centrifugal switch and starting coils inside. For a big bandsaw I think 3 phase is a good idea just for the slow start and dynamic braking. 3HP is the breakpoint for VFD pricing. Above 3hp they jump way up in price.
    Bil lD

That Baldor is a TEFC 3ph motor so there's no start windings.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Houghton View Post
    Jay
    That Baldor is not TEFC, the vents are clearly visible on the shaft end of the motor. It’s open drip-proof.

I see the vents now. I thought the Baldor is single phase? A vented motor is a poor idea in a woodshop
    Bill D

Machinery companies tend to fill small frame motors with lots of wire to boost HP. The lighter weight allows for a little less need for frame strength. The italian motors in particular are examples. The downside is they can run hotter , especially at 60hz and replacing the frame size with the same hp on the larger motors is difficult. If you swap the motor you will also need to swap or rebore the pulley, change the belt, and possible change the starter. Much cheaper to add a vfd for 200-300, and use the starter to fire up the vfd. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Houghton View Post
    Jay

Baldor is ODP. Motor manufacturers went to ODP models VS TEFC to get around the energy efficiency standards that went up a couple years back. larger HP TEFC became regulated, ODP weren't included in the new standard and that left a loop hole for them to exploit. Brian
    Brian