Thread: Raster Quality Issues

Raster Quality Issues

I started running into some odd quality issues when raster engraving recently. We got our Universal Laser 4.60 (30 Watt) in October 2019. In September of this year, two issues started popping up.

We began having raster quality issues on certain items (Duets plastic, JDS leatherette, & metal – ULT201 from JDS). Other materials like wood and glass engrave fine. I noticed the main issue is when the X-axis passes varied in width. It also seems there may be some variation in the power output as well because of what happened to the top of the A in the gold plate file since the color is different.

There is also an issue with the engraving shifting but it only occurs on the left side of the machine. You can see in the pics with the "Sing Sing" text. The entire first column of 10 keys in the screenshot of my output file had the same issues in the same locations down the Y-Axis.

We did some back and forth with the distributor and ULS. X-belt (and possibly pulley) were replaced but the issue persists but only on the left side of the machine. The resolution they are pushing now is to use the frame raster checkbox but that is increasing processing time, sometimes drastically.

The odd part is that ULS stated this is a known issue and the reason the frame raster option was created. If this is a known issue, why wasn’t the frame raster button suggested from the beginning? Instead we tried reinstalling & updating software, running the engraver from a different device, swapping USB cords & ports, & then finally replacing the X-belt.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Look at the rail. It probably has ridges in the anodized aluminum rail system. ULS's drive system is probably the worst in the industry. It's only good for a few years before it needs to be replaced. They should have switched to steel years ago but they don't seem to get called out on it so I guess they have no incentive to change.

You can slow the laser down and it will minimize the issue. The reason it's on the left side is because that's probably where you do 90% of your engraving.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

With the machine off slowly move the carriage back and forth in the x axis. You should be able to feel some roughness in the area where you are having the problem and maybe further along the x axis as well.

If you can detect any roughness remove the bearings and examine them. The bearings on my old ULS were rubber and did not wear well. I would also suggest that you do some testing using a high resolution material such as anodized aluminum to evaluate the raster engraving.

Be sure to clean the rail.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Thanks for the input and trying to help.
    The bearings and rail look fine to me but cannot rule it out. I've passed this along and will provide updates on if it gets resolved and the feedback I receive from our distributor. Universal Laser is done trying to help and insist on the frame raster option which increases production time.