Thread: Another DW 735 issue.

Another DW 735 issue.

I've had mine for over 15 years, and have come to know its' strengths and weaknesses quite well. An issue that has recently repeated itself has me wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem. Chips are accumulating under the hood. The fan shroud appears to be seating correctly and the blower is working well, it puts out the usual jet stream so I don't think the fan is the issue. The accumulated chips built up to the point of restricting the height adjustment gears and chain. A thorough cleaning out with wire brush and vacuum got the height adjustment working properly again, but after an hour or so of use, I took the hood off to see if all was well, and well, chips are building up again. Anyone else have this problem? Could the plastic fan shroud actually wear out to the point of having a bad seal?

What type of wood? Sounds like it’s a combination of the wood and taking off too much at a time.

I have never had the problem and have mine hooked up to the dust collector. I have had all kinds of wood thru mine over a lot of years without an issue.

Take the shroud off and check it. I've read of folks who had the dust shroud wear through. At 15 years--with the velocity of chips hitting the shroud, it's sure a possibility.
    earl

Yes is the answer to your last question and I’ve seen it and dealt with in on a 735. Just order a replacement dust shroud from ereplacementparts or the like and see if that fixes it. The gasket/seal was not all the way down right on the one I used and the shroud was slightly warped as well and this exact thing would happen.
    Still waters run deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce King View Post
    What type of wood? Sounds like it’s a combination of the wood and taking off too much at a time.
    Maple, cherry, walnut. I never take off more than 1/32", but thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    Yes is the answer to your last question and I’ve seen it and dealt with in on a 735. Just order a replacement dust shroud from ereplacementparts or the like and see if that fixes it. The gasket/seal was not all the way down right on the one I used and the shroud was slightly warped as well and this exact thing would happen.
    I think this may be the right direction. The shroud doesn't appear to me deformed or worn, but it has seen a lot of chips flying through it. Can't see any other possible causes so I guess I'll try a new shroud. Thanks Earl and Phillip.

My 735 does the sane thing. I haven’t been able to figure out a solution. I keep a 5HP dust collector hooked up to it and it still stops up. If you find a solution please let me know.

When I am hooked to my 735, I am pulling 260 cfm at 11.3" static pressure. While the OD of the port is 4" , the actual port size on the 735 is more like 2.5" .

I wonder if there is a clog somewhere in yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    When I am hooked to my 735, I am pulling 260 cfm at 11.3" static pressure. While the OD of the port is 4" , the actual port size on the 735 is more like 2.5" .
    I wonder if there is a clog somewhere in yours?
    I don't think so Larry, mine is hooked up to a dedicated DC as well, the 4" line is clear, the blower is blowing well. I do not know the stats on the Powermatic 073 DC that is hooked up to it, but it has always been up to the task. Most of the chips are finding there way to the DC bag, but enough are not that it is problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Robbinett View Post
    My 735 does the sane thing. I haven’t been able to figure out a solution. I keep a 5HP dust collector hooked up to it and it still stops up. If you find a solution please let me know.
    Well, misery loves company they say. I'll keep you posted if the new shroud solves the issue. Mine is a type 1. I wonder if the later models have an improve shroud.

I had this issue a few years back. It’s likely a leak in either in the fan shroud or the dust shroud. After a lot of investigation, installing and uninstalling parts, I finally found a small crack in the plastic fan shroud. I missed it in the first couple of inspections. I think the fan pressure may have opened it up more in use.

For a stop gap while waiting on the back ordered part, I removed the fan completely. This, and a little epoxy, got me through with very little dust escaping. I probably ran it like this for a couple of years as it’s not much fun trying to get the fan shroud back in.

Note that the fan shroud and dust shroud are different parts. I don’t know if these are the official terms. The dust shroud is quite easy to replace. The fan shroud more difficult. I would thoroughly inspect the dust shroud (the part that covers the blades), and rule this out before proceeding to the fan.

If you’ve ever had a knot blow apart, it’s not difficult to imagine these could do some damage to these plastic parts. They likely get brittle over time and more susceptible to breakage.