Thread: Trotec Speedy Flex vs Epilog Fusion vs. Gcc S400

Trotec Speedy Flex vs Epilog Fusion vs. Gcc S400

I'm getting a hybrid CO2/fiber engraving system with registration cameras and would love to get the forums feedback on the different systems I'm considering. The contenders are: Trotec Speedy 400 Flex with registration camera, Epilogue Fusion Pro 36 and Gcc S400 with registration camera, all with 80W CO2 and 50W fiber lasers. In terms of cost, the list prices I've found on the web for the Trotec is around $70k, Gcc at $65k and Epilogue at $45k. Registration with existing artwork is important, and I'll be doing a mix of metal and nonmetal engraving. What are your thoughts? What are the best prices you've seen for these systems? Is the performance of the Trotec and Gcc good enough to justify an extra $20k? I've got 10 years of experience using Epilogue, Trotec and Universal, so have some opinions, but am curious what the community has to say. Thanks!

I would not buy a flex unit from anybody. The fiber is just too slow and too expensive. That said I am a Trotec fan and would stick with them for my CO2 machine but I'd
    explore other options for the fiber. A number of our members have had good luck with Chinese machines at very modest prices. Buying through an importer increases the price but there is value added so I would explore that as well.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    Just as a point of reference, my 50 watt fiber cost me $5200 to my door in December. That is all in, shipping duty and laser with a rotary and one lens. Extra lens are roughly $100 each. Unless you have a need in covering a large area flat area, I'd go with a separate chinese fiber. You can do decently deep engraving with a 50 watt using a 300x300mm lens (roughly 11.5x11.5" area).
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

I dont' know how Epilog sells anything- I know they make the big-area galvo fiber, so I hit their website... there's a pic of it, but the link to 'more info' leads nothing but Fusion machines--

Anyway, I found this video...

NOTE- I've never owned anything Epilog, but I'd LOVE one of these-- If I had the money I'd likely buy one. It sounds like you have money to spend, and as Mike says (and others in the past) a gantry fiber is so slow in comparison to a galvo steered laser as to be near useless (except maybe for cutting metal?) I really can't speak to the Epilog's actual performance, but they do make good stuff, worth investigating I think...

A G2 Epilog and a separate C02-only gantry laser may be a better fit. And an added benefit: 2 separate machines means you're not waiting for some fiber job to finish before you can start that big C02 job that's collecting dust --this benefit is precisely why I have so many machines
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    I dont' know how Epilog sells anything- I know they make the big-area galvo fiber, so I hit their website... there's a pic of it, but the link to 'more info' leads nothing but Fusion machines--

NOTE- I've never owned anything Epilog, but I'd LOVE one of these-- If I had the money I'd likely buy one. It sounds like you have money to spend, and as Mike says (and others in the past) a gantry fiber is so slow in comparison to a galvo steered laser as to be near useless (except maybe for cutting metal?) I really can't speak to the Epilog's actual performance, but they do make good stuff, worth investigating I think...

A G2 Epilog and a separate C02-only gantry laser may be a better fit. And an added benefit: 2 separate machines means you're not waiting for some fiber job to finish before you can start that big C02 job that's collecting dust --this benefit is precisely why I have so many machines
    Epilog has unfortunately discontinued their G2 galvo fiber. I've seen them operate at shows, and they are a pretty impressive machine though. I've never seen one show up anywhere I watch in the secondary market.
    Epilog Fusion Pro 48 - 120 Watt
    OMG Laser 60W JPT MOPA Fiber
    Mimaki UJF-6042MkII e UV Printer

That's a shame- I guess. The price of the things was pretty up there, but not out of line really considering what Trotec, Gravotec, Keyence etc charge for some of their goods. Regardless, hard to keep making something if nobody buys it...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Blog Entries
    I saw one at the Arlington show in 2017. They started about $75k if I remember right and went up. Had a cool moving table that was an option and would allow a wide engraving.
    The only one I know they sold was a gun maker in the Texarkana area. Don't know if they've still got it, I'd assume so if they are still in business. But yeah, probably really close to a $100K machine today.
    I'll keep my chinese..... the 50 watt paid for itself from one job this spring three times over..... One customer, less than 2 months.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

I'd like to see your ROI calculations for a $70,000 machine.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

heh heh.... The CPI Inflation Calculator says that in 1981 $16,000 had the buying power of $48,053.33. That year we bought our first NH Concept 2000 computer engraver, and about a year later we bought another one. Our ROI calculations were 'will it make its own lease payments?' They did, in spades -those 2 machines running only 7 hours a day, me and my BIL could produce 800 keycaps a day @ $.75 each, which in 1982 dollars was just south of $1700 per day, meaning, any way you do the math those 2 machines, just running keycaps, paid for themselves in less than 60 working days. And we did a lot more with them than keycaps And FWIW, my BIL is still running 'his' C2000 to this day.

THESE days? Yes, it would be hard for me to justify even a $20k machine let alone a $75k machine...

FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter