Thread: Preston Spokeshaves

Preston Spokeshaves

My brother's book on Preston Spokeshaves has finally come out.

"Iron Spokeshaves and Related Tools Manufactured by Edward Preston & Sons"

He spent 10 years becoming an expert on the Preston spokeshaves. I did help a little with some library research I never realized how many variations there are on a simple tool.

Proud of my brother!

John

Where can I get the book from?

Hi Ralph,

The book is on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Spokeshaves-R...3730207&sr=8-1

I published the book through Ingram Spark, which prints the books when ordered. I assume that is why Amazon lists it as "ships in 1 to 2 days". I can't say for sure how Amazon does this as this is the first book that I have published.

I have a few copies of both hardcover and paperback on hand, if you would like to get one directly from me. The price would be the same as Amazon and that includes free shipping to the US.

Cheers,

Joe

Awesome work Joe and John.

I notice it's on Amazon Australia.
    I'm putting this on my Christmas wish list

I've always loved Preston shaves and shoulder planes but there seems to be scant information around.

I did get this reproduction 1909 catalogue which is full of amazing stuff.

2.jpg

Interesting that I have the same chamfer shave that is on the cover.
    It has the lateral adjuster that is not in the 1909 catalogue.

1.jpg

There are actually 4 (and I suspect a 5th) type of Preston 1392 spokeshave. Photographs of types 1 through 4 are included in the book. The one on the cover of the book is a type 4. The type 4 incorporates the lateral adjustment wing, which is first seen in the 1914 catalogue. I have purchased, but not yet received, a Preston 1392 that I believe will be a type 5. The type 5 will be finished with green cellulose paint (circa 1930 to 1933). This is the first and only green 1392 that I have seen in nearly 15 years of collecting Preston spokeshaves. I will be able to confirm the new type when I have the recently purchased 1392 in hand.

I have ticked the boxes for worldwide distribution when I set the book up with Ingram Spark. It appears that Ingram Spark has printing facilities in USA, UK, and Australia. Jane and Mark Rees reprinted the 1909 catalogue and Kenneth Roberts reprinted the 1901 catalogue. The 1901 reprint is out of print but can be found on eBay or through used book dealers. I am considering reprinting the 1914 catalogue as my next project. The 1914 Preston catalogue No. 26 is a large format catalogue that is printed in colour. It appears to have been in use until catalogue No. 43 was issued in October 1932, just weeks prior to Rabone purchasing Preston. There is a bit about Preston catalogues, price lists, and ephemera in my book as well.

Cheers,

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Gillard View Post
    Awesome work Joe and John.
    The work was all my brother Joe.