Thread: Can I apply General Finishes Arn-R-Seal over waxed shellac?

Can I apply General Finishes Arn-R-Seal over waxed shellac?

Does anyone have experience applying General Finishes oil base urethane Arm-R-Seal directly over waxed shellac without using a de-waxed sanding sealer? I know that it is not recommended to apply waterborne finishes over waxed shellac. I'm trying to avoid adding a dewaxed shellac over the existing waxed finish.

I'm finding it impossible to contact General Finishes directly for technical information...their phone number has been wiped from the web.

Thank you.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

If you can scuff sand it I'm pretty sure you can. But why not just spray a coat of rattle can shellac first and eliminate the risk? If that's not possible I would try it on scrap first, wait a day, and then see if it passes the fingernail test.

John

I’m with John, Just apply dewaxed shellac over it and be done.
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

Thanks John & Clark. I'm doing raised panel doors and had hand wiped a coat of waxed shellac...it was tedious to say the least. I was considering skipping the Seal Coat and moving straight to Arm-R-Seal. I'm trying to avoid spraying shellac in my shop...it's kinda sticky and I spray in the open without a booth. I may try it to avoid hand wiping a dewaxed coat. I've got a Fuji HVLP with a blue 1.0 air cap that should be good for shellac. How problematic are runs when spraying shellac? It's got the viscosity of water.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

As long as I pay attention to what I'm doing I don't have problems with SealCoat running. For your purpose you don't need a full, wet coat, you just need to create a barrier. Your gun should work great with a 1.0 N/N set.

John

Spraying shellac shouldn't result in any "sticky", either...overspray will generally be dry before it hits the floor. If you use pointed risers to lift the workpiece up off a flat surface, any overspray that gets to that surface will not interfere with the next workpiece.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Ok...I'll give it a try!

Thank you
    Scott Vroom