Thread: Source of a good quality tape gun (packing tape gun)

Source of a good quality tape gun (packing tape gun)

I loaned my packing tape gun to a friend who was moving years ago, and never got it back. I have not been able to find a good replacement. Does anyone have a suggestion of a good packing tape gun? Crappy ones are pretty frustrating to use.

John

I went with the uline 3” one on Amazon last year and love it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For tape I went with the u-line as well. It’s sticky and stays stuck unlike a lot of packing tape. I also like that in two passes I can cover a ups amazon return label as we go through a few of those for all the stuff we buy from amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have tried to use a tape gun and failed. I see people using them and looks easy. Next time, I guess I will find a YouTube video to learn how.

I use bare rolls and teeth. I find i can get a better seal

I took one with me when we shuttered the Minimax USA here in Austin, like 10 years ago. U-line, maybe? Still works fine but the serrated part is bent. I may just get a new one from Amazon. Could there really be terrible ones?

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I got two about 10 years ago from our local surplus and salvage dollar store. They work pretty well and I use them all the time, one in the shop and one upstairs where I store boxes and packing supplies. One of the best $2 I ever spent. I don't know what brand they are and probably it's not made anymore, but they're a simple tool so most of them should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Could there really be terrible ones?

Erik
    Yes. I have several awful ones I bought trying to find one that worked as well as the one I loaned out and didn’t get back

I work in parts / distribution and can tell you there are terrible tape guns and a lot of them.

I will take a look later and see if the good ones have any names / markings on them. I think we payed like 30 each for the good ones

Quote Originally Posted by John Stankus View Post
    Yes. I have several awful ones I bought trying to find one that worked as well as the one I loaned out and didn’t get back
    Yes. When we moved we grabbed another one.. it was worthless and just frustrating to even try to use. We tossed it.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    but they're a simple tool so most of them should be fine.
    You'd think that, but I have three of them now, none of which work worth a hoot. It's an exercise in frustration. I have used ones that were good, but I have no idea how to find another one.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    I took one with me when we shuttered the Minimax USA here in Austin, like 10 years ago. U-line, maybe? Still works fine but the serrated part is bent. I may just get a new one from Amazon. Could there really be terrible ones?

Erik
    Yep, the rule in this area is poorly designed and cheaply built.

I echo those who like the Uline ones.

The guns don't bother me as much as the tape sticking down on the roll, and having to get it unstuck.

Never found a good one. Started to make a tape dispenser years ago, like the ones on the office desk for regular tape, but mondo wide for the packing tape. Use a piece of hack saw blade for the cut off.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    I have tried to use a tape gun and failed. I see people using them and looks easy. Next time, I guess I will find a YouTube video to learn how.
    Some you have to tilt the handle back at the end of the application to engage a lever on the top which extends the cutting teeth, then pull down. I have several (Scotch/3M brand) purchased at the local office supply store when they offered a bundle with a bunch of rolls of tape. They are very well made and have always worked well, hate to be without them (keep one in the shop, one in the house). Don't know about the cheap ones, never tried to use one.