Thread: glue area question

glue area question

If I have a 9" x 1/2" tenon glued in a well fit mortise, does that joint have the same strength as a 3" x 1 1/2" tenon glued similarly? They both have 9 sq inches of glued surface. Assume for the moment that they have no unusual forces acting on them - simply a pull apart force. Seems to me they should, but I'm hoping someone of the tech knowledge persuasion will pop in and provide some enlightenment.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

My first concern would be expansion and contraction across 9 inches of cross-grain glue joint.

As far as joint strength, the glue adhesion would probably be the same, but the 3" x 1 1/2" will go deeper into the other piece of wood and should be stronger.

I think they would be about the same. It's the same type of grain in both cases so the glue joint should be the same. But I would worry about a long shallow joint. I did one about 6 inches long on a crib but the tenon was plywood so it should not move nearly as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    I think they would be about the same. It's the same type of grain in both cases so the glue joint should be the same. But I would worry about a long shallow joint. I did one about 6 inches long on a crib but the tenon was plywood so it should not move nearly as much.
    I agree with Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    If I have a 9" x 1/2" tenon glued in a well fit mortise, does that joint have the same strength as a 3" x 1 1/2" tenon glued similarly? They both have 9 sq inches of glued surface. Assume for the moment that they have no unusual forces acting on them - simply a pull apart force. Seems to me they should, but I'm hoping someone of the tech knowledge persuasion will pop in and provide some enlightenment.
    I remember reading somewhere, don't remember where. that you should make it with three tenons with a space between instead of one long one. as in 2 1/4" tenon, 3/4 " space, 3" tenon, 3/4" space, 2 1/4" tenon. The comment was due to the length of one tenon and board movement, don't understand it completely and never tried that long of a tenon.
    Interested in what other comments are and how it works out for you
    Ron

9" of cross grain is gonna be stressed seasonally.

If/when the glue fails the 1 1/2" long tenon will win.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    I remember reading somewhere, don't remember where. that you should make it with three tenons with a space between instead of one long one. as in 2 1/4" tenon, 3/4 " space, 3" tenon, 3/4" space, 2 1/4" tenon. The comment was due to the length of one tenon and board movement, don't understand it completely and never tried that long of a tenon.
    Ron
    I see that alot (i.e. breaking up a long tenon) on breadboard ends in furniture drawings often. I think glen Huey does those long mortise an tenon's that way.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 10-29-2020 at 9:39 AM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

There is more to joint failure than glue strength. You need to consider wood strength and direction of the load. If you place a high vertical load on one corner, you have to consider that 1/2" of wood will split off a lot easier than 1 1/2".

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    Ron
    I'm not an expert, but my understanding of that was so that the piece with the big mortise has material left in it to retain strength so it's not reliant on the tenon and glue to be a solid piece. How true that is I'm not sure, but I'll be the first to admit that I've had m&t joints that weren't as nice as I wished they were.

[QUOTE=Ron Selzer;3066576]I remember reading somewhere, don't remember where. that you should make it with three tenons with a space between instead of one long one. as in 2 1/4" tenon, 3/4 " space, 3" tenon, 3/4" space, 2 1/4" tenon. The comment was due to the length of one tenon and board movement, don't understand it completely and never tried that long of a tenon.
    Ron[/QUOTE

Ron, I don't see where that helps. The out to out expansion is the problem.

Here's solution I used, 30 years and no problem.

Brace.jpg

Ok not sure how the pic got upside down

Thanks gents - I'll break up the loose tenon into sections to minimize the movement
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.