Thread: Motor replacement for 1955 Delta/Rockwell 43-110 Shaper?

Motor replacement for 1955 Delta/Rockwell 43-110 Shaper?

I was given a 1955 Delta/Rockwell 43-110 (I think- no definitive tag) shaper that was in decent, but non-operating condition to restore as a fall project. Motor didn't start with existing wiring, but patched it together when I got it home and actually seemed to run fine after disconnecting/detaching from tool body- likely a spindle/belt issue. I've been restoring the tool and stand and have been reading quite a bit about how the base 1/2 HP Marathon motor is less than desirable, especially if I intend on using it for much more than making quarter round. I thought I'd put the time/energy into restoring it so I could use it for door making (entrance and cabinet), primarily, but realize that a motor replacement may be inevitable. I currently use a router, but would love to get this tool into the rotation. It's got a drum switch for reversing motor, which would definitely be a nice to have function for future, and am looking for any advice on what motors I should consider, or even if that machine could handle more than a 1 HP motor (vibration/rigidity/etc)? Appreciate any help/advice (first post at SMC).

It will probably cheaper to get a 3 phase motor and vfd then a new single phase motor if the reversing switch has to be upgraded for more power. A vfd will give you variable speed, within reason, and dynamic braking with soft starts.
    I would guess no more then one hp. Try to get a motor with the same diameter spindle so the drive pulley fits. It may have a longer then normal shaft as well.
    Bil lD

I have a couple shapers that is setup making raise panels and styles/rails. One has 3hp and other is 1.5hp both w/3/4 spindle which I have never push them to limits and I don't think I can. I think that if both had 1hp motors I would still do just fine. With that size shaper w/maybe 1/2 spindle or 3/4spindle, I just don't see a need for anything 1hp or over would be worth money. I mainly have only ran poplar for paint grade and once while soft maple, cause I'm just a hobbyist. If your just a hobbyist then I believe that you will also be just fine with 1/2-1hp. Use your setup first and see if you push to limits then make change.
    Last edited by Carroll Courtney; 10-29-2020 at 7:26 AM.

Thanks Bill. I hadn't heard of that type of set up before so I'll do some add'l research on it. I'm hoping to keep my costs down on it and not sure if the combination of those two things will push outside my bounds but definitely will look at it if only because it sounds like an interesting way to set it up.

Carroll- This is likely the type of work I'd be doing. I like working with other hardwoods, but I wouldn't be running masses through it either way. If I ever get to that point, I'll buy a better machine. I didn't measure, but there are 3 spindles and at least from the documentation, they are 1/2", 5/16" and there is one that is smaller that had small bit on it being held in by a screw down into the top of the spindle.

Up next, waiting for temps to bump up just enough to finish the painting and then start removing rust and corrosion from the bits. I'm looking forward to getting this running!

Sounds like you got a router collet spindle. Probably 1/4" router bits. That is a nice thing to have if you already have the bits to fit. I have never heard of a 5/16 spindle. I wonder if it could be metric?
    Bil lD

The 5/16 size has been discussed on owwm once or twice. It appears to be a size that never caught on, so no cutters available either new or used.
    I replaced the motor in my Delta HD, perhaps a bit older than yours. It was a RI motor, reversed by moving the brushes, but the necklace spring had gotten saggy so it didn't like to start. I had a 1.5 HP 3 phase available, and it worked very well. I ran it off a TECO VFD. To work on the machine you tip it upside down and then lift off the cabinet - everything is mounted to the top surface.
    I've since sold it -- not enough floor space when I got the slider.

Ah- that's interesting. All my router bits are 1/2", but may be a good reason to pick up the 1/4" when I come across them on the cheap. My daughter and I are going to go do some work in the shop this evening so I'll snag a couple photos of things and see if I can get a quick measurement of the spindles.

You don't happen to have a photo of how you mounted it do you? I'm trying to envision what you've described and it's not registering with me. Prob just my lack of understanding. I've used power tools/machines for a long time, but this is the first I've really got into the guts of one to this degree... kinda fun!

I had that same shaper for a number of years before buying a larger one at auction. I think mine was 1 1/2hp and that's plenty for most projects. If you're not running big tall cutters and trying to do it in a single pass, you'll be fine. I had a replacement motor with standard frame size but one thing to be aware of is the capacitors may get in the way of tensioining the belts. The OEM shaper motor had capacitors located differently so the motor could swing enough to tension the belt before it hits the side of the cabinet. A 3-phase motor would solve that problem. I built a lot of things with shaper and it's a very competent machine.
    Jay

Here are the spindles that came with it (post clean-up).
    http://limberg.us/files/delta-43110-spindles.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Therneau View Post
    The 5/16 size has been discussed on owwm once or twice. It appears to be a size that never caught on, so no cutters available either new or used.
    5/16" = 7.93mm Pretty close to 8 mm which is fairly easy to find. I don't know if they'd be interchangeable or not.