Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lee Valley seconds

I was on at 12 noon sharp. Thought I had the BU jointer nailed, till I went back later to buy something else and found it was still in the cart - shipping issue!

By the time I got another one in the cart, it was sold out.

However, I did (after 2 hours 20+ minutes), manage to snag a miter plane. Was hoping for that as they are no longer produced. Mind you, I had to refresh the cart about 25 times before I finally got confirmation. Whew.

As others said, I was hoping not to have to stay up till midnight on Cyber Monday lol.

I tried for a while to get a tenon saw at lunch, same errors as everyone mentioned. I quit trying and forgot about it until I got home tonight. I checked again just to see what was left and the tenon saws were showing available again! The order went through and I got the confirmation email, so I hope that's good news.

Blog Entries
    The site opened for me earlier today and almost pulled the trigger on a couple of items that are not needed or even on my want list.

Decided to leave before consulting with SWMBO.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I played around trying to get an order through for the 1/2" and 3/4" chisels, was hoping for quite an upgrade from my old Craftsman. Finally got the order through for a 3/4" chisel, saw the confirmation email pop up in my inbox, so I shut down and got back to work. Just checked the confirmation email and the quantity ordered was zero!

Chisel Confirmation.jpg

Same thing happened to my order of the Draw Knife. It was in stock this afternoon, but the e-mail received tonight show No Longer Available. Bummer.

Sorry to interrupt the discussions re purchases gone awry today but I have to ask- what is this 'New Veritas' that has been mentioned? I must have fallen out of the loop somehow.

I really wanted a shooting plane, that was a frustrating experience. But on the bright side, I have a LAJ so it isn't exactly a need.

Lee Valley sale today

Veritas has their sale today starting at noon and I jumped on at 12:00:05 and it was busy. I felt for the IT folks because the web site was having some issues. But in the end all worked out. Got a shoulder plane and a low angle jack plane. Christmas to myself.
    Bob C

i had the same problems as others have noted, so called the custimer service line. It was a long wait but the rep who took my order was incredibly helpful and even cheerful during what must have been a very difficult day on her end. I was impresed and am looking forward to my early Christmas present.

There's already a thread going on this, here:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....Valley-seconds

Every year by the time I see anyone posting about these sales, everything that I want is gone.

Can I ask a question though?

Does LV every put anything "NEW" on sale like other stores? It seems the "sales" are more of clearance of second hand/refurbished items (Yes I know they are still in great condition.)

I know they have free shipping every now and then. But do they ever have real sales on brand new items like say Woodcraft, Lowes, Homedepot, etc.?

Maybe they do, but I never seem to visit when they do.

Thanks. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cooper View Post
    Got a shoulder plane and a low angle jack plane. Christmas to myself.
    Merry Christmas! I have their medium shoulder plane and it might very well be my favorite hand plane. No matter how I cut my tenons there is always some fine shoulder cleaning up that needs to be done. I just pull it out, shave off the high spots, and boom! Perfection. And don't get me started on how beautifully it fits in my hand. You will love it.

Blog Entries
    I know they have free shipping every now and then.
    They did free shipping on all orders when the Corona Virus first started. Later it was changed to all orders over $30 USD.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Yes I catch some of the free shipping ads, but I was really asking about them having actual Sales on New items.

I picked up some Woodrivers planes to use on manmade wood products (that I wouldn't use my LN planes on). Woodcraft routinely have them on sale at 15% off at least a few times a year at the local store.

I just have never seen a LV sale on their NEW hand planes or anything for that matter, ever before.

Again, I could be wrong and just missed the sales catalogs or ads.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Damon View Post
    Every year by the time I see anyone posting about these sales, everything that I want is gone.

Can I ask a question though?

Does LV every put anything "NEW" on sale like other stores? It seems the "sales" are more of clearance of second hand/refurbished items (Yes I know they are still in great condition.)

I know they have free shipping every now and then. But do they ever have real sales on brand new items like say Woodcraft, Lowes, Homedepot, etc.?

Maybe they do, but I never seem to visit when they do.

Thanks. Rob
    I havent ever seen them hold a sale. Only Cyber Monday, which is only seconds. (Though I have never seen a mark or defect on a LV second, despite having several.)
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”